RAW & JPEG on D200

alan6 14 70 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2008 4:34PM
I have started to use RAW + JPEG fine for my images (instead of JPEG only) and impressed with what can be achieved. I use Windows Scanner & Camera Wizard to download them from the camera as this for me seems the easiest option. If and when I start to shoot RAW ONLY, can I still use this method?.
Once I have taken the photograph, is the LCD displaying the RAW or JPEG image ?
If there`s anyone else who has recently taken the plunge into RAW, I would appreciate your comments and any tips you can offer. I seem to be able to make all my changes in Capture NX.

Thanks very much.

Regards -- Alan
Doclassie 16 1.1k England
17 Feb 2008 4:42PM
Hello. I'm not sure about the download method as I simply use a card reader and copy the images across that way (saves camera battery power.)

The LCD screen is showing a JPG preview. Often it will show blown highlights where, in the RAW file, they're intact. That's why the histogram is a better indication of image exposure.

CaptureNX is great software, however it will apply any in camera processing to the RAW files - so be aware of this. Also, the sharpening in CaptureNX is not very good..... I'm not sure why, but it creates odd artefacting.

Good luck!
BEVZED 14 1.1k United Kingdom
17 Feb 2008 5:02PM

Quote: I use Windows Scanner & Camera Wizard to download them from the camera as this for me seems the easiest option

Mine ONLY downloads the jpegs, not the nef.
Go 'my computer, double click the card, select all, copy to .. , that is the only way I can get my nef off.
Allsorts of progs will recognise them but that for me is the quickest way.
Know naff all about the rest of it though 'cos I'm a numpty Smile
alan6 14 70 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2008 5:03PM
Thanks for that.

Just to clarify, I put my CF card directly into the card reader built into my computer. I don`t download directly from the camera.

Don`t imagine that makes any difference - but just in case !!
miptog 16 3.6k 65 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2008 8:07PM
Also used RAW + JPEG for a while, but now just shoot RAW. With ViEW NX its possible to easily run a batch process to create JPEG. Much easier than CS2. Believe you can also use ViewNX to transfer files. I prefer to use the "my computer" and "file explorer" to transfer.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.