RAW

sunshot 14 24 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2008 12:39PM
robin, no i'm not. the printer had its own software, the printer has slots for compact flash and sd cards. all i do is put the card in the printer slot and a box opens on screen, asking 'save images to fold, computer or file, i select folder, give it a name, then hit save, it then downloads all the shots on the card to a folder, which you open in paintshop pro to do any cropping ECT.
since we lst spoke, i'v deleted everythink from my card and took some more shots in raw, put the card in to download and it says theres nothing there to download,i'm bamboozed

marc

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BurntOut 13 321 2 England
21 Jun 2008 12:46PM
Printers generally only recognise JPEG files. You will need to get them onto your PC, convert the RAW to JPEG then print. Either that or shoot JPEG in camera.
21 Jun 2008 12:52PM
First thing - a RAW file is just that - raw data i.e. a digital negative. To print etc you need to convert it to a TIFF or JPEG. You can do this in Photoshop but will need to download and install the the appropriate RAW converter from here .

Also, the D70 produces RAW files in Nikon NEF format - Windows XP SP2 does not recognise these so the card will appear blank. You will need to download a RAW viewer eg: this one or similar (there are plenty free ones).

Another useful tool is Rawshooter 2006 - free from PhotoFreeware.net

I would suggest you do a search of the site for further information on RAW files and conversion - there's plenty here and on Nikonians.

Paul
21 Jun 2008 12:52PM
i'v just noticed that theres a ''NEF RAW'' /and ''NEF basic'' setting on my camera, can someone tell me the difference please
RobinF 12 83 1 England
21 Jun 2008 12:57PM

Quote:First thing - a RAW file is just that - raw data i.e. a digital negative. To print etc you need to convert it to a TIFF or JPEG. You can do this in Photoshop but will need to download and install the the appropriate RAW converter from here.

Also, the D70 produces RAW files in Nikon NEF format - Windows XP SP2 does not recognise these so the card will appear blank. You will need to download a RAW viewer eg: this one or similar (there are plenty free ones).

Another useful tool is Rawshooter 2006 - free from PhotoFreeware.net

I would suggest you do a search of the site for further information on RAW files and conversion - there's plenty here and on Nikonians.

Paul

I'm with Paul here Marc.
cameracat 15 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
21 Jun 2008 1:31PM
Early PSP will not deal with D70s RAW files.....!

Why not load the Nikon Project software, That is supplied with all Nikon cameras, Use this to download your RAW files....!

OR

Just plug your D70s into a USB port, Switch it on, Then wait a fews seconds, If Windows does not offer to view the contents, Go to my computer, Look for the Camera Icon, Double click it.....!

You should now be able to see all the files that are on your camera....BE they RAW NEF or JPEG......! ! !

NOW just copy them to a folder on your PC.....Smile Job done,,,,!

Once copied to the computer, You can then delete them from the camera......!

All Nikon DSLR's are seen by Windows O/S as mass storage, So there is no need to load any camera drivers etc....!

Personally I'd get rid of all the Auto Download stuff ( Or disable it ) They are a pain in the place, Where the Sun does not shine.....Sad

EDIT; The RAW files will then be available to view in Nikon Project.
21 Jun 2008 1:38PM

Quote:Windows XP SP2 does not recognise these

Not entirely correct....!

There is a Nikon RAW viewer available from Microsoft for Win XP..That allows you to see thumbnail version of NEF files....!

There is also a similar download from Nikon....!

If I can find the relevant URL's I will provide a link....Smile
21 Jun 2008 1:44PM
Link to Nikon page regarding " Thumbnail " viewer for Win XP.

AND

A link to the Microsoft page for downloading thier RAW Thumbnail Viewer..

Although these will help, Your Nikon Project software, Will do much the same, And convert your RAW data files into TIFF or JPEG......For use in PSP.
21 Jun 2008 1:53PM
thank you vince,, do you know if windows vista will need updating, as i have a new p.c on order and it's not xp like this one it's windows vista.
thank you for your time and effort everyone
robin
c,b
paul
vince
G73photography 13 417 15 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2008 2:12PM
what happens when you plug the usb lead into the camera ? are you able to view the camera as a folder on your pc?
21 Jun 2008 2:16PM
hi grainge, i dont know i'v lost my usb cable, cant find it anywhere.
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
21 Jun 2008 3:21PM
I thought you said you have a card reader that came with the camera. Then you said you put it in the slot in the printer. As said before, I don't think your printer will see raw files.
Unfortunately, if you don't have a card reader, then you will have to install all the drivers of the camera, then connect the camera directly to computer, then use your nikon software to download the files.
21 Jun 2008 3:34PM
i have both, but to no avail,i now know whats required and will be downloading whats needed, thanks for your time.

marc

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.