Save 60% On inPixio Eclipse HDR Pro

RAW conversion software, which is best?

Doclassie 15 1.1k England
6 Jan 2008 3:52PM
I got captureNX free when I bought my D200. I use it now instead of Photoshop for processing RAW files (I only shoot RAW.)

It is a really nice piece of software. I haven't noticed any speed issues. The U-point tools are very nice (if slightly buggy sometimes.) And the colour correction tools are all fine (no better or worse than Photoshop.) The lack of a clone/healing tool is a pain though.

Now, the main thing with NX is it adds all the in-camera processing to the RAW files. I personally find all this is very bad and too agressive. So its worth turning everything off in-camera and processing through NX. Also, the sharpening in NX is terrible compared to Photoshop. It introduces very odd artefacting that looks like a subtle paint daubs filter..... very very odd.

So yeah, use NX but keep the D200 settings to off and sharpen in photoshop/elements.
dathersmith 13 565 12 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2008 4:21PM
I use NX almost exclusively (Photoshop for clone/heal and adding titles etc) and find it fine, including sharpening. The sharpening settings take a bit of getting used to but once you have mastered how they work they seem great (to me anyway).

Darren.
ducatirider 13 5 1 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2008 2:22PM
I use Capture NX and find it brilliant, for most of my RAW photos I never have to use PS. The new version is a lot faster and if you have the cache on a separate drive it will run a lot faster. If you have a Nikon then it has to be Capture NX.

Here is a good forum on iStock that has loads of tips and tricks. iStock Forum
jameswburke 18 14 Ireland
21 Jan 2008 4:34PM
For Canon EOS users, I'd recommend the upgrade to Digital Photo Professional - version 3.2 - you can download the upgrade here: http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0027547.asp?model=
Gergio 11 2
28 Sep 2009 4:15PM
Try Ivan Image Converter. It converts digital camera RAW images to more than 40 image formats (JPEG, GIF, PNG, etc.) Supported Digital Cameras: Canon (CR2, CRW), Fuji (RAF), Kodak (DCR), Minolta (MRW), Nikon (NEF), Olympus (ORF), etc. Batch Mode and command line support.
http://www.ivanview.com/ivan-image-converter.html

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.