The Totally Tamron Website Is Back! Visit Today For All Things Tamron

RAW to JPEG

Chris_L 6 5.4k United Kingdom
10 Jan 2020 2:27AM
Which is what the embedded jpeg is - the preview image that appears on the rear screen, so all of those settings affect preview and histogram, they may also act as starting points depending on your raw processing software. I don't think the rear screen will have a wider gamut than sRGB so if you shoot raw it's not worth worrying about.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 15 7.7k 18 England
10 Jan 2020 8:01AM

Quote:........ and histogram

I believe that there is a camera that shows the RAW histogram, possibly one of the newer Phase One models ?

Not that it is of any use for me, I have not got suitable finances Sad
Railcam 13 796 2 Scotland
10 Jan 2020 8:41AM

Quote:Won't the selected colour space etc affect the image that appears on the rear screen for chimping?

Exactly. It is the embeded JPG that you are seeing on the rear screen. The rest of the RAW file is just data. There is no image until it has been processed through a raw converter.
Carabosse 16 41.4k 270 England
10 Jan 2020 7:56PM

Quote:There is no image until it has been processed through a raw converter.

You can view RAW images via (e.g.) Irfanview, which is not a RAW converter as such?

I use Irfanview to quickly skim through RAW images, deleting any I don't want, before processing them in ACR. I've convinced myself this is quicker! Tongue
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
10 Jan 2020 11:41PM
Ever since we started with digital back in 2003, our SOP has been to never delete an image away from base. Colleagues have found that they have deleted the wrong image!
11 Jan 2020 3:02AM

Quote: never delete an image away from base.

I agree with that. And I don't clear a memory card until everything has been downloaded, processed, finalised and backed up..
JJGEE 15 7.7k 18 England
11 Jan 2020 10:15PM

Quote:And I don't clear a memory card until everything has been downloaded, processed, finalised and backed up..

Only downloaded & backed up for me as it may take several weeks for me to review / cull my images and even then I only process on an as required basis.
11 Jan 2020 11:38PM

Quote:it may take several weeks for me to review

I don't go to bed until I've reviewed photos shot that day! Tongue

What I sometimes do though is a dump of unsorted and unedited images onto my external SSD drive. Then I can reuse the card. I do that a lot with video clips.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.