Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Re-Importing to Lightroom

russellsnr 16 246 England
12 Apr 2014 7:45PM
Hi, Using Lightroom 5 along with third party software's and the export option?
When I export from Lightroom to for example Photomatix and use the option to re-import the only way I seem to be able to see the re-imported image in the film strip of L/R is if I use the All Photos option in L/R.
The problem with this is if I have say 50 images to import and work on and already have 500 images within L/R I have to look through 550 images to find the re-imported one.
I no there must be a way of re-importing an image back to the Last Imported folder in L/R where there would be only those last 50 images plus that one, but cannot figure out how to do this so any and all help gratefully received.
Thank You
Russ
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
13 Apr 2014 9:08AM
If you are exporting then why not create a folder for the exported images then when ready just import that folder back into LR ?
Then it should be easy to find them Wink
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
13 Apr 2014 11:12PM
Are you talking about exporting or the 'EDIT IN' menu option? I have LR4 and if I use 'edit in' i have the option to automatically import the edited file into the catalogue and when I close the 3rd prty program the photo appears in the film strip.
If you are using 'export' I don't think it works the same way - you need to use the import function to find the image and add it to the catalogue and name the folder to put it into.
thatmanbrian 9 342 3 Spain
7 May 2014 3:45PM
I use LR5 and have this same problem. I select an image to edit in Photomatix but by default have to use the "export to" option. The return to LR option is ticked etc. Upon returning to LR, I have to switch from Library to Develop and back again, or resynchronise the folder before the Photomatix image is displayed. It seems to need that sort of kickstart or trigger. Very annoying. Note I don't tick the stack with original option, as I don't like stacking, but maybe that is the answer?

I already have a second external editor configured otherwise I'd try that for Photomatix. I can't see a way to have three external apps setup for LR5.
thatmanbrian 9 342 3 Spain
7 May 2014 3:52PM
I should have done this before posting! I checked with Photomatix support and found this answer:

Quote:I checked the automatic re-import but the processed file is not re-imported

The processed file has most probably been re-imported, but you will not see it if the Lightroom filmstrip is set to "Previous Import". If "Previous Import" shows above the Lightroom Filmstrip, right-click on it and select "All Photographs" instead.

Note that you will only need to do this the first time you use the automatic re-import option.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.