Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

Realestate Photography

StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
15 May 2017 8:15AM
We're in the process of looking for a new place to live closer to our grandchildren, and over the past 2 days I have viewed hundreds of listings, and thousands of images of the exterior and interior of homes. I don't think I have seen one technically good one; the exposures are terrible, doorways and windows, furniture and appliances, they're all skewed out of shape. Obviously almost all of these images are being taken by agents who use nothing but smartphones as cameras, and know very little about photographing what they're trying to sell, it's pathetic. Jobs there for lots of photographers; $100 per house or apartment minimum, plus expenses, 30 minutes work. A quick edit in LR, and email them to the agent. Get out there people, I'm too old.Tongue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam2 2 1.1k
15 May 2017 12:10PM
When we sold the place that we'd used as studio and home, we used Humberts who are one of the better UK agents. The photography was done by a local colleague, a "proper photographer" who did a better job than I'd have done myself. He shot pix to sell and it was worth every penny.

All the interior and many exterior shots were done with a 14-24mm zoom, often used at the wide end. Ultra-wides do tend to give a lot of distortion when used by the inexpert.
JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
15 May 2017 1:43PM
There once was ( perhaps still is ? ) an epz member called Realestate.

Perhaps that is the guy they need Smile
Into weddings but I am sure he would give property a go as well Wink
Just Jas 17 26.3k 1 England
15 May 2017 2:05PM
I seem to remember a guy who was the absolute expert on every thing photographic - name something like "Charlie Pie"?
(CB will remember Wink )
Chris_L 5 5.0k United Kingdom
15 May 2017 4:13PM
The photos don't need to be that good. People will visit a property before buying. In fact if the photos are too good they will arrive and be underwhelmed when it doesn't match their expectations.

That is why, even though they are selling one of the most expensive products you can buy, most real estate agents don't bother too much with photos.

Holiday rentals are a different matter. You are unlikely to go visit a holiday cottage or villa before your holiday so photos are everything where they are concerned and the standards are way higher.
dark_lord Plus
15 2.3k 574 England
15 May 2017 5:10PM
Jas, do you mean Derek Pye?
Perhaps at the better end of the market yes, but most people buying are quite happy with phone snaps even for a house. Conditioned into it by posts on social media and pictures of people's old tat on fleabay
Carabosse 16 41.2k 270 England
15 May 2017 6:10PM
When I sold my previous property in 2014, the young lady from the estate agent came armed with a Canon 5D II and a couple of lenses. I think one was the 16-35mm.

Photos must have been effective - I got an offer, on the first day of viewing, for 5k more than the asking price! Wink
15 May 2017 6:57PM

Quote:The photos don't need to be that good. People will visit a property before buying. In fact if the photos are too good they will arrive and be underwhelmed when it doesn't match their expectations.

Going by our experience, we will not visit a property that is not professionally presented, unless there are unusual circumstances, because it indicates a sloppy attitude to start with; some agents don't even bother to take the images during daylight. We're looking to drive quite a distance, and we will only visit properties that have a thorough, clear presentation, it's a time consuming exercise. We are active clients right now, and I'm relating real time experiences. Adding to our problems here is the fact the market is over saturated with all the job losses over the past couple years, and even now many jobs are being lost. One might say, well, it's a buyer's market; it is, but it's difficult when the product is poorly presented online, in the vast majority of cases. My wife's friend is an agent, and she saw a few of my wildlife pictures and asked for some for her website. I gave her a couple, then she asked if I'd photograph her property listings, but I declined, too much like work.Smile
dark_lord Plus
15 2.3k 574 England
15 May 2017 7:38PM
Presentation does matter. Especially i a buyers market where you need to come up with a shortlist.
Sloppy presentation isn't business-like and while it may not always follow what happens behind the scenes could be just as sloppy.
Car dealers are another bunch, when you see what some are like behind the scenes (i.e. not a customer) then it is 'would you really buy a car from them?'.
15 May 2017 8:48PM
An estate agent friend agrees with my view. He explains it along the lines of this; There are plenty of potential buyers who will even look at a property that is awaiting photos. In the past when he and other agents have experimented with professional photography and with videos they've not sold more houses. They only need one buyer for each house and in the end a one with pro photos still sells for the same price as one with amateur photos, but costs more to market.

Carabosse 16 41.2k 270 England
15 May 2017 10:23PM
Depends on the state of the property/real estate market - to some extent - I guess. If the market is hot, any old photos (or indeed none at all) will do.

If the market is struggling, the agent may have to make a bit more effort. Even produce a glossy brochure for the higher-end properties.
JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
15 May 2017 10:38PM
Well, the images of properties advertised in Country Life magazine certainly appear to be of high quality and taken, NOT with a mobile telephone Wink

thewilliam2 2 1.1k
15 May 2017 11:23PM
Don't many buyers look on-line or visit the estate agent's office before doing a shortlist?

Crappy pictures will make even a good house look, well, crappy!
16 May 2017 6:20AM
Chris, read Dark Lord's comment. In a market like we're shopping in right now, it's a devastating situation for sellers, the market is flooded, and with many high end homes, because most of the job losses are in some of the highest paying jobs in the country, the energy industry. These people make a mint, and their homes run into the millions, so imagine what the mortgage and taxes are, they have to sell fast, or just walk away and let the banks have the houses. Incidentally, 6 of Canada's major banks, I didn't know we had that manyTongue, had their credit ratings downgraded, which is unheard of. Why? Because they hold the mortgages on millions of homes that are over-priced by approximately 62%. The World Bank released a report 1/12 years ago stating this, and the Feds agreed, so the housing market in some parts of the country, especially Calgary, are the way they are because the city has the highest unemployment rate in the country. Imo, they should be doing everything possible to sell, or rent, but it's very sloppy. I tried to phone the agent listing one today to ask for pictures of the exterior and upstairs bedrooms if they have them; no answer, and no answering service, I couldn't even leave a message. We have selected a couple to look at, out of 100s in the areas we're looking. We've decided not to buy, at least not for a year, so now we're looking at rental properties, the market is collapsing.
16 May 2017 9:05AM
I agree with what everyone is saying, I don't disagree that estate agent photos are poor (apart from the high end of the market).

I'm simply offering an explanation; which boils down to the agents being unconvinced that it's worth it.

What other reasons are there? Is every last one of them not bothered about making more money?

Some used to charge an extra fee every time they featured your property in their press adverts. Could it be that the longer your house is on the market then the more money they make from you and the more choice they can offer their buyers?

If pro photos were better for them - they'd all be doing it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.