Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Recommend a good performing budget macro

keith selmes 18 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2005 1:30PM
Yes, use MF. AF seems pointless.
With Canon Eos cameras, the light meter works with completely manual lenses and adapters. i.e. no electrical contact from the lens whatever.
I suppose Nikon must work differently.
And a brief google opens a worm can of Nikon lenses, lens mounts and tubes that might or might not be compatible. Frightening.
Sounds like Kenko tubes are the ones to have, like tepot did.
tepot 17 4.4k United Kingdom
17 Nov 2005 4:27PM

Quote:AF and metering works on Canons with the tubes from Jessops. I think the Nikon ones are missing the contacts.

The 75 quid jessops tubes don't have any contacts, thats why i didn't buy them, not sure about the Nikon ones though, anyway why buy Nikon tubes when you can get cheaper third party ones? it's not like there's an image quality issue since there is no glass.
synaesthesia 17 389 England
19 Nov 2005 11:18AM
The jessops extension tubes dont work with the D70. I use a sigma lens without an aperture ring. The aperture size cant be controlled via the tubes. Therefore every shot is taken at f22. Rubbish.
sillyconguru 17 4.4k
19 Nov 2005 12:51PM
Well, get a lens with an aperture ring then Wink

The Jessops tubes do work (they increase the distance between the camera and lens). If you use the tubes with a MF prime lens, you'll have aperture control (and sharper pictures).
Andy_Britten Junior Member 16 96 England
19 Nov 2005 1:15PM
i use the tamron 90mm 2.8, which is a nice lens.
Andrew

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.