Recommend me a good compact Digi as a backup

fredchan 14 124
27 Jan 2007 5:39PM
Panasonic Lumix FX01 - fantastic compact with a Leica lens

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
27 Jan 2007 6:02PM
Just been looking at this, though uses XD.
Olympus[mju:] 750

No swivel screen but zooms to 180mm with IS.

Paul
philipr 14 392
28 Jan 2007 1:48AM
Im leaning towards a canon powershot fo some kind of another. Yeah, the swivel screen for composing candids is deffo a big plus. I do a bit of walking round shooting from the hip with 10-20 wide angle on and "hoping" or cropping later. Get some ok stuff but it can be hard to look inconspicuous with a bulky SLR especially with battery grip attached. I thinking now this compact could be more that just a backup but also a useful extra tool
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
28 Jan 2007 2:05AM
Swivel screens can be very handy, what about a canon G6. You could always go secondhand.

G6

Paul
28 Jan 2007 8:41AM
hmmm... not a bad suggestion Paul. raw possibility and swivelscreen ! Not bad at all. Might buy it myself. Someone give Paul a cigar :o)
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
28 Jan 2007 8:53AM
Shame they have replaced with the G7...no raw mode Sad
28 Jan 2007 10:26AM
nor swivelscreen :o(

(I shaked my head in disbelief when I read the review)
Kris_Dutson 17 8.2k 1 England
28 Jan 2007 10:54AM
Canon Powershot S70.
philipr 14 392
29 Jan 2007 1:58AM
mmmmm, G6 looks pretty good - having a look on ebay now. Could be the one. Ill look at the S70 aswell. Soem good suggestions here - so much easy that reading through 3000 reviews myself on dpreview!

cheers
Fujiconvert 15 1.3k England
29 Jan 2007 6:19AM
Another vote for the Canon Powershot S70 here.Its my carry around and have taken shots that are with libraries with it so image quality is good.Also you can shoot Raw with it too.
Phil.
Barleybank 14 15 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2007 2:26PM
I use an Olympus c70 zoom as backup to my DSLR's and find that it produces extremely acceptable images in raw (I enlarge up to A3 for framing prints for sale in my Gallery) The c70 is particulary good for macro work. Although not so small, it does fit into a walking jacket pocket where mine usually lives.
philipr 14 392
29 Jan 2007 11:19PM
via a mixture of a bit of research, suggestions on this thread and finally a mix of budget and what was available for me to get (cos i live in Bolivia its limited and if I import its 40% tax!) I bought a powershot 610 today. There where some higher MP models but MP are not that important for me as anything i use it for will not be required to be printed large. I decided swivel screen was a must and 5mp or above would do and this fits the bill. I got it for 200us$ - I know its prob poss to get cheaper on ebay or elsewhere but when I add the postage and tax on it certainly isnt, so im reasonably happy with it. Seems pretty easy to get your head round - my first gripe is the max 400 iso and that seems quite noisy on screen , so prob even more viewin gon a pc. Its get good reviews on DPreview though and as a backup I think it will do the job.

Cheers for the help everyone.

PS - does anyone know anything about the RAW support for the 610 - apparently there is some hack , or is there an official firmware upgrade?Not essential but might be nice if it works and doesnt break the camera!
30 Jan 2007 8:34AM
the noise is a problem on my A95 too, which is why I seldom go higher than 100 ISO. So night photograpy or taking (good) photos in low light conditions is a problem (I try never to use flash). Think the best is just to concentrate on taking photos in the conditions that suit your compact best. It clearly has some huge disadvantages vs a dslr, but there also are advantages.

Sorry, no idea about the RAW support :o(
chicorastas 16 91 France
31 Jan 2007 9:33AM
RAW hack info 1

More info

I've not tried this so can't say whether its safe or not, so at your own risk.

Let us know if you try it Mr Guinea pig !! (quite apt for S. America - don't get barbecued !)

: )
philipr 14 392
31 Jan 2007 2:46PM
mmm - seems simple enough to do but a bit dirty, dont like the idea of breaking my camera especially seeing that it could be diffcult to fix here. Also the idea that you havde to reload the hack every time you power cycle the camera - seems risky.
Seems im not going to be the "cuy" this time Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.