Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate

Recommend me a good compact Digi as a backup

Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
31 Jan 2007 4:34PM
Looks to me as not so much as a firmware hack, but more of a software hack. Not writen to the camera but instead just read by the camera from the card. So its not perminant, and you will have to run this software after each power up to enable raw each time.

Looks to me like more bother than its worth. No quick on the spur candids if you`ll need to run this hack each time.

Paul

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jondf 13 2.8k
31 Jan 2007 10:45PM
If you're familiar with a DSLR and its controls, there can only be one answer - the Ricoh GRD
Krakman 13 3.6k Scotland
31 Jan 2007 10:49PM

Quote:there can only be one answer - the Ricoh GRD

Tho' sadly it gets a lacklustre review for image quality on dpreview... Sad
jondf 13 2.8k
1 Feb 2007 12:07AM

Quote:croftsphoto wrote: Tho' sadly it gets a lacklustre review for image quality on dpreview

The DP review isn't too complementary in some areas but I'd balance that against the many positive reviews of this camera. For such a small device you're getting near SLR control and quality in many shooting conditions, albeit with a fixed 28mm lens. Ultimately it's about detail and colour rendition, two areas where the Ricoh excels. Have a look here (please insert h t t p : / / in front of the address before pasting into your address bar) http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/375984234_883c60e362_o.jpg
I was startled by the quality, colour and level of detail from such a small camera. The poster's comments are telling in this respect.
Some more examples here -(please insert h t t p : / / in front of the address before pasting into your address bar)
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1013&thread=21814415
1 Feb 2007 7:49AM
Just read some reviews on the Ricoh GRD. Find it a difficult camera to place.
At first I thought it would be great for street photography as some reviews mention, but then, for what reason would one prefer to use the Ricoh rather than a small but good dslr with a prime lens and wide angle? The compact is smaller, so one could argue it's more inconspicuous than a dslr, but with the wide lens and lack of swivelscreen you would still need to get very close to the subject, enough anyway to make it very conspicuous despite its small size.
The price isn't really an argument in favour of the Ricoh either.
In certain circumstances I find my current compact hard to use. Chinatown in Bangkok is a great example, with it's narrow, overly crowded streets. And then I think the Ricoh might come in handy with it's wide angle. But so would a dslr - which would give me many other advantages on top of it, advantages the Ricoh can not give me (the Ricoh's slowness when shooting in RAW for one thing).
The only advantage I see is the weight and size. If someone really doesn't want to walk around with more than 200 gr., and that is the major/only deciding factor, then I see why one would go for the Ricoh.
Not critisizing here; trying to understand why it would be interesting (and more interesting than alternatives) to use the Ricoh ? Considering the price and considering the alternatives available.
theredbaron 13 394 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2007 12:38PM
Fuji F20
jondf 13 2.8k
1 Feb 2007 1:44PM

Quote:belgikskenikske wrote: Just read some reviews on the Ricoh GRD. Find it a difficult camera to place...

Have you got one or tried one? All around us people are giving up on SLRs as a carry about camera. They're too big, too cumbersome and too obvious. Having spent a week with the Ricoh, it's a camera I'm coming to appreciate more and more (a lot more than the Ixus I tried). A camera - like a telescope - is only as good as how often it gets used. With the Ricoh, you can have it slung round your neck all the time and know one gives it a second glance. It's there, ready in unassuming black to offer the prospect of high quality shots. You'll not find many RAW capable cameras this size either....if any.
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
1 Feb 2007 1:47PM
The Canon A620 is an excellent compact camera IMO.
Small,unobtrusive,feature packed,and most importantly,capable of producing really nice images.

Justin.
photonoob 13 3
1 Feb 2007 2:58PM
Powershot S70 is a good choice. I've been using it for years and never thought it replacing it.

-- Photonoob

Do not post advertising links in the forum. Please read our terms and conditions.
1 Feb 2007 3:20PM
Seems a bit late recomending camera`s for Phil now, he`s already gone out and got one. On the subject of swivel screen`s, and if you ever need one. Here`s one solution that works.

Most compacts have an AV out. So almost any small device with an AV in connector can be used via an AV lead. You may even have a small portable DVD player that has AV in nocking arround.

Paul
jondf 13 2.8k
1 Feb 2007 5:59PM

Quote:Paul Morgan wrote:Seems a bit late recomending camera`s for Phil now, he`s already gone out and got one

Really? What did he get then?
1 Feb 2007 6:02PM
Middle of page 1, a powershot 610.
jondf 13 2.8k
1 Feb 2007 8:48PM

Quote:Paul Morgan wrote:Middle of page 1, a powershot 610

Blimey, that took some finding Smile Can't blame him though. The A610 is a good camera.
riprap007 15 1.6k 37 England
19 Mar 2009 9:58AM

Quote:for what reason would one prefer to use the Ricoh rather than a small but good dslr with a prime lens and wide angle?
it is silent, can be stashed in a pocket immediately, has the option of an optical viewfinder (essential IMO) has 1x1 mode, which is good for certain compositions, and is excellent at B&W... I'd of thought it right up your street! pardon the pun

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.