Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Recommendations for a new Back-up Drive

cats_123 Plus
17 5.0k 30 Northern Ireland
24 May 2011 2:05PM
Have been using a `Click -free' back-up drive for a number of years, and it has served me well . (But) with `only' 150mb of storage it has reached the point where I need to invest in something bigger.

Storage is predominantly photos...and my recent decision to shoot in RAW has, of course, exacerbated the problem. It needs to cope with 2 PCs and a Netbook.

Budget is flexible but am not looking for anything `professional'.....any suggestions out there? Smile
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
24 May 2011 2:09PM
I find that the WD MyBook drives and software to be excellent.

The good news is that a 2Tb WD drive will probably cost you less today that your 150Mb drive cost when you bought it.
Carrera_c 11 273 3 United Kingdom
24 May 2011 2:28PM
Any external hard drive should do you well, I'd go for a desktop one rather than a portable as you'll get more capacity for your money and most people won't really care about portability for a backup drive, it usually just sits there.

If the drive doesn't come with any backup software, then there's plenty out there that will do the job. I use SyncBreeze for a variety of synchronisation and backup jobs between my computers and NAS drive and it works a treat, and is only $10, there's a free version as well which may suit your needs. http://www.syncbreeze.com/
cats_123 Plus
24 May 2011 2:30PM
thanks, Chris Smile
Kris_Dutson 18 8.2k 1 England
24 May 2011 3:04PM

Quote:I'd go for a desktop one rather than a portable as you'll get more capacity for your money and most people won't really care about portability for a backup drive, it usually just sits there.

Worth bearing in mind that a portable one is easier to give to a reliable neighbour / friend so you have one set of back ups off site. Smile

And I get mine from ebuyer
cats_123 Plus
24 May 2011 3:16PM

Quote:And I get mine from ebuyer

thanks for that link Kris..their prices look competitive Smile
Kris_Dutson 18 8.2k 1 England
24 May 2011 3:55PM
Delivery's very good too. Smile
KevSB 17 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
24 May 2011 4:38PM
mY exsperience with wd MY Book was horendous and returned them, unfortunetly recent one come with software that attaches itself to your registry, the only way of removing it is download software from WD, it slows your computer down, doing a search on wd over the net will bring meny complaints about this intrusive software.

Look up WD Smartware which is installed as default on new external drives.

I reoredered older drives from wd without the software and they have been fine
cats_123 Plus
24 May 2011 6:17PM
Good advice, Kev Smile
24 May 2011 7:53PM
I've read that WD are one of the most reliable drives. After a bit of research I bought a WD Desktop Elements-it has no software (noting previous posts), is almost entirely silent and about the size of a thick paperback book. I stick mine behind my monitor and forget about it.
cats_123 Plus
24 May 2011 8:31PM
thanks, Chrelen...I'm leaning towards a WD model Smile
KevSB 17 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
24 May 2011 8:59PM
the smartware software is pre installed on the drives and as you connect it installs on your computer in the registry, it mirrors your drive and does not alow you to drag and drop files into the new drive, each time you turn on it will copy any new folders to your backup which slows it down and in some cases backing up files you have no intrest in backing up.
It also designates the new drive with a totally different way of labeling which some software wont recognise.

unfortunetly there is no way to disable this until you download another peace of software to disable the origenal which in my case would not work, The software also takes up space on the harddrive whice is closed to you.
aLL i wanted was a nother drag and drop hard drive to put photo files on so in the end i purchased a wd drive that was plug and play.

As I said, WD are very good and have a good reputation but aviod the drives with WD smartware Installed, this was 6 months ago so may have been fixed or removed now as meny users was in uproar about it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.