Don't Miss Out On Top-Selling Deals From Park Cameras - Find Out More

Recommendations for a powerful pc

SexyDan 13 14 1 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2007 1:48PM
I have currently about 40gb of pictures on my current pc, however it's very slow even with certain upgrades so i'm looking to buy a new pc desktop and wonder what people recommend.
i have a budget of about 1k, and would need something that can process files quick, and use editing software with out pc slowing down or freezing.
Any ideas.....My favorite desktop atm is leaning towards a hp m7775.
Any feedback would be cool

Dan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

javam 15 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2007 2:21PM
The HP looks like it has a good spec, but I would have to question if you actually 'need' to spend that much.

I would have thought a 350 dell package (which would probably include a 19" monitor) would give you a significant performance boost over what you have, so I think you need to ask your self what you are going to do with it and do you need all the things the HP has.
Simon_Palmer 13 759 11 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2007 2:28PM
I'd defo have the HP over a Hell Machine (sorry Dell Machine). Better warranties, better spec and overall better gear.

Have you considered building your own tho? Not that difficult I can assure you, and you will definitely get more bang for for buck if you don't mind the build.

Simon
Geoffphoto 13 13.5k United Kingdom
24 Apr 2007 2:31PM
My mate's got an custom built Evesham for his photos and swears by it, it's got a very impressive spec......

(I've got a Mac and I swear AT IT !!)

just joking.............Smile
Paintman Plus
13 1.3k 177 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2007 7:18PM
How about buying a couple of external hard-drives and moving all your photos onto them. I bought a 360mb ext.hd. ( about 70.00) and use it to store photos on it. When I want to work on a photo I just open it into PS, then save on the ext.hd. again in a different folder. This way your PC is left with plenty of space and shouldn't slow down too much.
Regards, Alan.
shaun 16 368 England
24 Apr 2007 8:21PM
1k buys you a hell of a lot of PC these days - especially if you're just talking a base unit (no display, keyboard,etc.).

To be honest that HP seems to represent pretty poor value to me. Something like this Mesh is far better value. Take it up to 2GB memory (highly recommended for Vista) and its still just 650. Get yourself a big external hard drive for backups and you'll still be under budget.

Shaun
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
24 Apr 2007 9:20PM
Another recomendation for Evesham as a PC retailer.
I found their help,advise,knowledge and after sales service absolutely superb.Wouldn't hesitate in using them again.

Justin.
imagegrill 13 429
26 Apr 2007 5:42AM
Buffalo external hard drives from Amazon are good value at under 100 for 500Gb!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.