Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

Recommended Film Processing Labs!

AdyB 8 13
24 Aug 2009 12:50PM
I'm back shooting 35mm film (black & white / Agfa APX and Fuji Neopan currently) along side digital at weddings.

Also bringing the old RB67 out of retirement shooting mainly colour transparency and black & white.

Used to use Transpacolor for all my E6 and a local lab for black & white. The local lab has since closed and although Transpacolor still do some excellent digital printing for me I would like to try out a couple of alternative labs for film processing - pref ones which are regularly processing film (and checking their chemistry) and a good rep.

Recently had negs back from a lab (will remain un-named) with scratches on the emuilsion. Don't mind scanning but sitting for hours doing unnecessary re-touching is not what I had planned.

Any recommendations or advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dark_lord Plus
12 1.8k 338 England
24 Aug 2009 12:55PM
A couple of well respected names are Peak Imaging in Sheffield and Loxley in Glasgow.
Apologies if one of these is the one that caused scratches Smile
BigCol 15 1.8k 1 Scotland
24 Aug 2009 2:41PM
Peak imaging are very good, gotta agree with dark_lord, in fact I've just sent of a batch of 120 flims for processing.
Another I'm just trying is e6processing.co.uk They do a Dev and scan service which is keenly priced. Just sent off a couple of films from the weekend so I'll let you know how it goes. They're a subsidiary of Spectrum who i've used once before, but a long time ago.
AlanTW 14 351
24 Aug 2009 2:43PM
Another vote for Peak Imaging

Alan
franken Plus
14 4.0k 4 Wales
24 Aug 2009 4:11PM
Bookmarking!
AdyB 8 13
25 Aug 2009 2:36PM
Thanks for suggestions. Believe I used Peak way back in the 90s for E6 until I heard about Transpacolour who were then slightly cheaper.

Have just sent two black & white films (well, one is Neopan CN400) to Digitalab in Newcastle. A little apprehensive because one of the films is an Agfa APX 25. I'll post an update on results.

Will give Peak a try with my next rolls of E6.

Cheers
Ady
BigCol 15 1.8k 1 Scotland
25 Aug 2009 3:24PM
Oh, Transpacolor. I'd completely forgotten about them. Didn't realise they were stil going.

I also used to use Lab35 as they were local but now they've moved up to Leicester.
Pete Plus
15 18.8k 96 England
25 Aug 2009 3:31PM
Many of the labs we've tested over the years are still going, so our Processing Test here should be helpful.
dwilkin 10 24.3k United Kingdom
30 Aug 2009 10:58AM
I use Peak as well, and I know that Jeff (JJGee) does, too...
joolsb 12 27.1k 38 Switzerland
30 Aug 2009 11:00AM

Quote:Many of the labs we've tested over the years are still going,

Surprising.... but also encouraging....
matt5791 12 747 1 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2009 9:18AM
As always I receommend Palm Lab in Birmingham - they do a lot of B&W processing and printing (both digitally and by hand onto Ilford) Steve and Simon are very experienced.

Matt
landandlight 11 46 Scotland
31 Aug 2009 9:20AM
Loxleys no longer do any processing I'm afraid
503CW 7 5 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2009 9:24AM
Yes, Palm are a great, proper traditional lab with all the digital services too.

Quote:I'm back shooting 35mm film (black & white / Agfa APX and Fuji Neopan currently) along side digital at weddings.

I noticed that, if you are after Agfa APX100 - Ag Photographic have an amazing deal on Rollei Retro 100 - which is AGFA APX100 - Ag Photographic

25 for 20 rolls 35mm 36.
dwilkin 10 24.3k United Kingdom
4 Sep 2009 11:38AM
I looked at Palm, but couldn't find any kind of price list...
AidanT 9 49 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2009 6:02PM
I use Dunns of Cradley Heath in the West Midlands. They have a van service fro pickup and delivery. I'm afraid I don't know how far they travel but I'm sure they would do a postal servive.

Aidan

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.