Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Red Bull Air race tips

1 Jul 2006 10:26PM
Heading off for the Red Bull air race in Budapest in a few weeks, would appreciate any hints and tips how best to photo fast moving aircraft!
foxybrown 16 368
2 Jul 2006 12:16AM
ensure your camera is:

- turned on
- lens cap is off
Camaro 15 7 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2006 2:02AM
Lucky so and so....wish I was going!

Personally, I hate to see stopped props in photos of piston engined aircraft, so keep that shutter speed down. The guys taking part will have three or four blade props and will be at full throttle most of the time - 1/250sec should get you a nice blur without making it difficult. Of course, for great panning shots make it even slower.

Best of luck

Glynn
2 Jul 2006 1:04PM
Thanks for that guys, tend to agree about the stopped props as well Glynn. Oh and if its not rubbing it in too much I am off to the British leg at Longleat as well, tickets available now if you want them.

Keith
phil beale 18 1.5k United Kingdom
2 Jul 2006 3:04PM
For anyone who is interested in a EPZ meet for the longleat Air race.

deatils here
neilhw 15 24 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2006 6:13PM
Just booked my ticket to this years race at Longleat. I went to last years and can recommend it to just about anyone who likes flying. Fantastic event.

Photographic tips: If possible take a few minutes to study the course and see where the best opportunity for shots is going to come from.

Remember that Autofocus takes time, in the split second that it takes to kick in you could miss the shot. Pre-focus on the gates or as I did kick the camera into landscape mode for depth of focus.

Pick gates with knife edge for a dramatic shot or where they will be getting real close to the ground. Experiment with tracking fast objects before you get there.

I have last years photos at Hayesweb Havent updated it in ages but the picture gallery is sound.

Dont forget Spare memory cards and batteries. Above all enjoy it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.