Save 60% On inPixio Eclipse HDR Pro

Reducing Image File size

melabarrie 16 3
2 Aug 2004 8:24AM
I'm quite new to all this, so just wanted to know how do i actually reduce the file size of a picture without it disappearing into a tiny bitmap size picture.

am having problems uploading my pics, and though i've never had a problem before, it seems that this may be the reason.

how do i do it?
thanks
mel
FrankThomas 18 2.8k United Kingdom
2 Aug 2004 8:46AM
you may wish to use the "Search the forum" link as this has been addresses many times before.

In essence, you make sure the longest size is 500 pixels or less then use whatever editing software you use to save as a JPEG and set the compression so that the file size comes to 60K or less.

It's always best to do this on a copy of the original file rather than the actual original
nikon5700ite 17 1.8k
2 Aug 2004 9:29AM
The main thing to NOT do is to 'Save' your files [photos] and ALWAYS 'Save As' which brings up the menu asking you for a file name and offering a choice of filing system.

Your camera may use jpg but very few people keep photos that they have worked on as jpg's but rather use the 'house system' or tif or bmp.

jpg is principly for getting small files for web use. Each time you save a file in jpg it throws away a whole lot of info about the photo which you can never recover ... so you loose quality each time you save in jpg system.

The others store a lot of info about the subject and need storage space so watch your Hard Drive doesn't get full of photos and either burn to CD or better organise a second large HD to store photos files on. HDs are relatively cheap these days.

I have 80Gb as my working HD and 120Gb for storage, aiming to keep my working HD as empty as possible, currently 80% free, for speed of working.
melabarrie 16 3
2 Aug 2004 9:29AM
thanks alot for your reply
sorry for clogging up the forum with stuff that was discussed before
thanks for the great help
mel

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.