Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Reikan FoCal fine tuning lenses

johnmac 7 135
9 Jul 2018 4:10PM
Hi

Has anyone used Reikan FoCal for fine tuning their lenses. Iíve tried using it outside for my 200-500 5.6 lens because of the distance required for that lens. I have had inconsistencies with it saying lighting is poor even though itís a nice bright day with it coming up Ďlighting poorí To get the lighting consistent I was thinking lighting the target up? The manual reads not to use LED and tried my continuous studio lighting but that flickers. Some of my lenses I can do inside but have the same problem with lighting saying poor low lighting while going through the test target. Would I be better using a halogen light or would that flicker? Also is it best to use spot metering?

Hope someone can help.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Philh04 Plus
12 1.7k United Kingdom
9 Jul 2018 4:34PM
Using the latest version?

You should be OK as long as the target is well lit, bright sun may not be the best so try to wait for a slight cloud cover to help more evenly light the target.... Are you able to print an A3 target I often find the larger size helps.... If you must use additional lighting then halogen or tungsten.

The actual metering method doesn't really matter as long as it returns a cosset exposure....
johnmac 7 135
9 Jul 2018 4:41PM
Brilliant thanks for replying. Itís the latest version 2.6, I would have to print A3 at work but itís not an inkjet printer would that matter? Reikan suggest to use an inkjet printer.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.7k United Kingdom
9 Jul 2018 4:48PM

Quote:Brilliant thanks for replying. Itís the latest version 2.6, I would have to print A3 at work but itís not an inkjet printer would that matter? Reikan suggest to use an inkjet printer.

I am not sure, the target needs to be printed on good quality media (matte) so I would imagine if the printer at work is capable then it can't hurt to try...

Just looking at my first post, I have no idea why autocorrect changed correct to cosset...
sausage Plus
13 519 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2018 7:54PM
I normally print mine on photographic paper to get the best quality, not glossy though.
The chart doesn't need to fill the frame but needs to be exposed correctly. With my long lenses I stuck it up on a fence in the garden.
johnmac 7 135
9 Jul 2018 10:06PM
Thanks for all your replies, I've ordered some good matte paper instead of using normal printing paper. I did do my 200-500 lens in the garden needing the focal distance but knew it wouldn't be perfect due to the bright sunshine, then it clouded over and a breeze kept coming up. I did it at both ends 200 and 500 and both settings came up with +1 and +2, I usually use 300 to 500 for sport so set it at 300 an it gave me a setting of +4.
LenShepherd 10 3.7k United Kingdom
10 Jul 2018 7:52AM

Quote:Hi

Has anyone used Reikan FoCal for fine tuning their lenses. Iíve tried using it outside for my 200-500 5.6 lens because of the distance required for that lens.

You touch on an important detail in that most commercial targets are designed (depending on the target) to be used at between 20x and 40 x of the focal length of the lens being tested) which at 500mm is between about 33 feet and 83 feet.
A problem with many targets is they do not have appropriate detail good enough for reliable fine tune Sad
The "why" is explained in your camera users manual.
Sorry if you regard this next comment as a criticism.
If you have taken the trouble to learn the type of subject which works best when the aim is the most accurate AF then you do not need to buy a target which might be (and often is) less than ideal for accurate checking AF is good.
On this last point AF is usually good when the subject is good for accurate AF and less good to occasionally useless with a less good AF subject. This is explained in your camera manual
Philh04 Plus
12 1.7k United Kingdom
10 Jul 2018 8:19AM
Len... I believe the good folks at Rieken know a bit about camera AF... the OP was using their target and was following their instructions that come with the software... Your post is really next to pointless.
johnmac 7 135
10 Jul 2018 8:19AM
Thatís a good point. Having only just purchased and using the software Iím still finding out what suits me and in time will get to know whatís best. Iíve tried using other types of fine tune ways and do find Reikan very good. Rather than just test a lens once Iíve tested the same lens inside 3 or 4 times and the results are pretty close as previous tests a difference of a point 1or 2 although when done outside the results can be quite different but then you canít but notice light changes when target is placed on side of a shed reading in the software from excellent, good, acceptable and poor. I think I will try using the printed target check the results then swap the target with something that has text and compare.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.7k United Kingdom
10 Jul 2018 8:48AM
John... the target supplied by Reiken, when you buy their software is suitable all round, no need to swap it for anything else, Make sure it is printed on good quality Matte paper, it may be an idea if using an A4 sheet to mount the target in the centre of apiece of A3 card... the hard part as you have discovered is consistent lighting and when having to work outside it can often take a few days until the light conditions are right... today in the south east would be good overcast but bright with very little change in light levels....
johnmac 7 135
10 Jul 2018 9:20AM
Hi Phil
When I said thatís a good point I was referring to setting a target up at the distance I use most i.e. 300-500 end on the 200-500. Iíve acquired an halogen lamp and stand so that should give me constant non flickering light. It would be interesting to compare both Reikan and non Reikan target. I really like all the other information you can see in Reikan software such as the sweet spot of your lens, I wish I didnít have so many lenses now. I would always recommend Reikan software.
10 Jul 2018 9:32AM

Quote:Len... I believe the good folks at Rieken know a bit about camera AF... the OP was using their target and was following their instructions that come with the software... .

You perhaps overlook that the OP got inconsistent results.
Inconsistent results (I presume the OP means variable) are usually caused by either a less than ideal test target or a lack of good enough technique.
Comparing Nikon (and Canon) guidance on getting good results with AF with this particular target does not convince me that the makers know enough about AF to make as good and reliable target for critical AF calibration as is possible.
All that is needed, without spending any money, is a good for AF lock-on target incorporating the equivalent of up 200 lpm.
Then a test shot at nil, at +3 and at -3 (to get started) to see which image provides the highest resolution provides good quality information..
Philh04 Plus
12 1.7k United Kingdom
10 Jul 2018 9:33AM

Quote: I wish I didnít have so many lenses now.

I know that feeling Smile what I find interesting is that it seems to be my later lenses that need any form of calibration, my earlier lenses that predate in camera micro adjustment do not, the only exception was my 500mm f4 IS that was perfect on older bodies but needed some adjustment on later bodies... the star of them all is my 135mm f2 that is spot on every time (the only time it is out I know is user error).

I do tend to keep a regular check on how they all perform though and lenses that need any adjustment are done on a regular basis....

Good luck and let us know how you get on.... Grin
Philh04 Plus
12 1.7k United Kingdom
10 Jul 2018 9:34AM

Quote:
Quote:Len... I believe the good folks at Rieken know a bit about camera AF... the OP was using their target and was following their instructions that come with the software... .

Inconsistent results (I presume the OP means variable) are usually caused by either a less than ideal test target or a lack of good enough technique.
Comparing Nikon (and Canon) guidance on getting good results with AF with this particular target does not convince me that the makers know enough about AF to make as good and reliable target for critical AF calibration as is possible.
All that is needed, without spending any money, is a good for AF lock-on target incorporating the equivalent of up 200 lpm.
Then a test shot at nil, at +3 and at -3 (to get started) to see which image provides the highest resolution provides good quality information..

Change the record Len....
10 Jul 2018 11:45AM

Quote:
Quote:

Change the record Len....

Please respect forum rules - which you have just broken.
You are entitled not to agree with me, but not to breach forum rules by saying "change the record" because you do not agree with my opinion or extensive experience.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.