Remember APS Film and Cameras?

joshwa Plus
9 909 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2020 8:32AM
Does anyone remember APS film? Or have fond memories of APS film cameras?

It seemed like a pretty good idea at the time, but never really seemed to go very far...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 10.2k 50 Norway
24 Jan 2020 8:44AM
I remember the format, but never tried it.
I think the idea was a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time - it wasn't long before digital photography made its entrance and the benefits of that new era in photography far outweighed any positives with APS.
JJGEE 15 7.7k 18 England
24 Jan 2020 9:00AM
No

But my Sony digital camera has an APS-C mode which with the push of a programmed button can increase the focal length of my lens by 1.5, so the 200- 600mm zoom can become, in effect, a 200 - 900mm lens Smile
franken Plus
17 5.0k 4 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2020 9:48AM
I remember it well and did have one for a time. I think the onset of digital killed it off.
altitude50 15 17.1k United Kingdom
24 Jan 2020 1:31PM
I have a Canon APS-C the usual comment was that the films and cassettes were clever and included coded digital and optical infomation that could be recovered during and after the processing. But were expensive and the original images were smaller.
I never used mine, but I did note that the film access door was very clever and was locked until the film was fully exposed, but the battery door was very flimsy & poorly made.
As stated, full digital cameras did finish it off.
dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 620 England
24 Jan 2020 2:04PM
I remember them but never had one and was never tempted (rather small image size, vast majority of film was for prints as I don't recall any transparency film and it would have been limited choice all round). Maketed as simpler to load than 35 mm film (for those who'd have to ask their kids to program the VCR). A stop gap to generate sales.
Many digital cameras have APS-C size sensors, or thereabouts, a happy coincidence as the small sensor size came about because of manufacturing and cost issues.
karl 16 653 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2020 4:41PM
I had a little Canon Ixus P&S and also an IX-7 SLR. Unfortunately the IX-7 developed a fault where the flash wouldn't pop up and fire. The P&S I still have knocking about somewhere.
Snapper Plus
15 4.4k 3 United States Outlying Islands
24 Jan 2020 4:59PM
You can still get APS film on eBay , but it is obviously well beyond its expiry date and not exactly cheap. You can still get it processed as well, probably by mailorder.
24 Jan 2020 5:24PM
I remember how reluctant I was to change from film to digital but once I bought my first digital DSLR I never looked back, I still miss that wonderful smell of a brand new roll of film when the container was cracked open though lol
pablophotographer 8 1.4k 360
25 Jan 2020 7:00PM
I do remember them. Yes, they were marketed as an easy loading film to the camera (I'd dare to say "foolproof" for those who had trouble loading film onto their camera). A colleague had one and what I had found as their most appealing trait was the option to change format from square to panorama.

I thought it was an amazing feature! But I never bought one such camera.
davereet 15 431 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2020 7:48PM
I had a Minolta Vectis S1 with a couple of lenses. It was a great camera, very small and light great for the cycling holidays that we used to go on.
It was so popular with family and friends that it ended up going all over the world with different people.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.