Get 5% off Loupedeck Live with code: Ephotozine5

Remember APS Film and Cameras?

joshwa Plus
10 924 1 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2020 8:32AM
Does anyone remember APS film? Or have fond memories of APS film cameras?

It seemed like a pretty good idea at the time, but never really seemed to go very far...

saltireblue Plus
10 11.2k 68 Norway
24 Jan 2020 8:44AM
I remember the format, but never tried it.
I think the idea was a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time - it wasn't long before digital photography made its entrance and the benefits of that new era in photography far outweighed any positives with APS.
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
24 Jan 2020 9:00AM
No

But my Sony digital camera has an APS-C mode which with the push of a programmed button can increase the focal length of my lens by 1.5, so the 200- 600mm zoom can become, in effect, a 200 - 900mm lens Smile
franken Plus
18 5.2k 4 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2020 9:48AM
I remember it well and did have one for a time. I think the onset of digital killed it off.
altitude50 16 20.5k United Kingdom
24 Jan 2020 1:31PM
I have a Canon APS-C the usual comment was that the films and cassettes were clever and included coded digital and optical infomation that could be recovered during and after the processing. But were expensive and the original images were smaller.
I never used mine, but I did note that the film access door was very clever and was locked until the film was fully exposed, but the battery door was very flimsy & poorly made.
As stated, full digital cameras did finish it off.
dark_lord Plus
16 2.7k 710 England
24 Jan 2020 2:04PM
I remember them but never had one and was never tempted (rather small image size, vast majority of film was for prints as I don't recall any transparency film and it would have been limited choice all round). Maketed as simpler to load than 35 mm film (for those who'd have to ask their kids to program the VCR). A stop gap to generate sales.
Many digital cameras have APS-C size sensors, or thereabouts, a happy coincidence as the small sensor size came about because of manufacturing and cost issues.
karl Plus
17 654 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2020 4:41PM
I had a little Canon Ixus P&S and also an IX-7 SLR. Unfortunately the IX-7 developed a fault where the flash wouldn't pop up and fire. The P&S I still have knocking about somewhere.
Snapper 15 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
24 Jan 2020 4:59PM
You can still get APS film on eBay , but it is obviously well beyond its expiry date and not exactly cheap. You can still get it processed as well, probably by mailorder.
24 Jan 2020 5:24PM
I remember how reluctant I was to change from film to digital but once I bought my first digital DSLR I never looked back, I still miss that wonderful smell of a brand new roll of film when the container was cracked open though lol
pablophotographer 9 1.7k 389
25 Jan 2020 7:00PM
I do remember them. Yes, they were marketed as an easy loading film to the camera (I'd dare to say "foolproof" for those who had trouble loading film onto their camera). A colleague had one and what I had found as their most appealing trait was the option to change format from square to panorama.

I thought it was an amazing feature! But I never bought one such camera.
davereet 16 443 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2020 7:48PM
I had a Minolta Vectis S1 with a couple of lenses. It was a great camera, very small and light great for the cycling holidays that we used to go on.
It was so popular with family and friends that it ended up going all over the world with different people.

Dave
Trevor121 1 13 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2020 12:35PM
I could never understand the reasons for APS, the film size was smaller than 35mm, so the image quality suffers slightly, why the camera manufacturers didn't develop 126 cartridge film further, I will never know, slightly larger than 35mm, easy to load/unload and the technology was in place to put the image information on a strip just like APS.

I had a Rollei Nano 80 for a while, lovely camera, average image quality.
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
22 Feb 2020 11:34PM
4x4 TLRs appear frequently on ebay. I would buy one if 127 film were readily available. For colour slides that would fit in a 35mm projector and fill the frame completely and beautifully projected. Good to look at in a hand viewer as well.

A TLR that is not too bulky to carry around with one, if you like always to have camera with you.
Snapper 15 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
23 Feb 2020 12:05AM

Quote:4x4 TLRs appear frequently on ebay. I would buy one if 127 film were readily available. For colour slides that would fit in a 35mm projector and fill the frame completely and beautifully projected. Good to look at in a hand viewer as well.

A TLR that is not too bulky to carry around with one, if you like always to have camera with you.

Nik & Trick hand spool film to 127 size Jas, but it isn't cheap. Velvia price here , but at least that includes scanning!
27 Mar 2020 5:00AM
I have a Canon EOS IX, Nikon Pronea 6i and Pronea S with IX-Nikkor 30-60mm as well as a Minolta Vectis S-1 with both kit lenses. I started shooting APS last year because of curiosity and the fact that my local lab can still process/scan/print it. I cautiously pick up film from Ebay when I need it. And I have to admit, it's more fun to shoot than I thought it would be.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.