Save An Extra 15% On All Regatta Clearance Jackets & Coats use code: JACKET15

Remote Photo Shoots

miptog 15 3.6k 65 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2021 4:29PM
I was wondering what the EPZ community views and experience were of doing a remote photo shoot, as these are being utilised as one way of still being able to do a photo session during the current "lockdown". What equipment do you need, how does the experience differ from a "face to face", do you see it as something which will continue post "lockdown", and how does the process work for you?
Dave_Canon 14 2.0k United Kingdom
11 Feb 2021 7:19PM
Not sure what you mean. I remote control my camera using an App on my iPad but the range is around 3-4 metres. I would use this for Macro shots to avoid having to get down to floor level or for photographing a Cathedral roof (inside) to avoid lying on the floor and to capture garden birds. I did this before lockdown so it is not lockdown related. I assume that you are referring to something else.

Dave
saltireblue Plus
10 11.8k 75 Norway
11 Feb 2021 7:28PM
Michael - I have given John (Dudler) a heads-up about your question. He has done a few remote shoots with models. Hopefully he will be along to give you the benefit of his experience.
dudler Plus
17 1.6k 1832 England
11 Feb 2021 8:20PM
Hi, Mike -

I've done, so far, five remote shoots, mostly with different models, and as far afield as Cyprus.

You need a computer and internet access: the model needs a camera, a tethering lead to attach it to their computer, and then allows you to control the camera via the internet.

Conceptually simplest is a Zoom connection: there's an option to share control of software over Zoom, and you then adjust the camera, set focus points, and release the shutter by mouse clicks on your own screen. My experience is that there's a shutter lag of three seconds or more.

It sounds more complicated, but my experience is that it works better to use screen-sharing software that you both have to download, such as AnyDesk for camera control, and a WhatsApp video call to talk to each other. Shutter lag was only one second, with the camera 2,000 miles away. I believe there are technical reasons for this, but I don't understand them!

Obviously, a camera on a tripod is less flexible than a hand-held camera, and the model needs to be on top of the technology. They also need to install tethered shooting software - I've used three different sorts, and they seem to be similar but with buttons in different places, just like cameras.

HERE is a link to my fourth blog on the subject, after the Cyprus session. There's other stuff further back in my daily lockdown blogs.

Well worth trying for anyone really missing shooting - or, indeed, wanting to shoot in Cyprus sun without having to leave home.
clicknimagine Plus
11 796 104 India
12 Feb 2021 6:08AM
Another option, I found usable if your camera supports Wi-Fi and you are a Canon user, there is an App called Camera Connect , it connects the camera through Wi-Fi, you can almost use every settings as you are using it in a live view mode, It is free to download...I am not sure but you can search for other brands too...
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.3k 9 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2021 2:00PM
I would argue there isn't much difference between this and drone photography.

However, remember that photo of the Monkey/Ape that someone had the bright idea owned the copyright because it press the shutter (or some such thing).

I suspect there isn't an issue, until there's an issue.
A particular shot that may make some money, or achieve notoriety, then you're likely to get the 'I took that' argument raising it head.
clicknimagine Plus
11 796 104 India
12 Feb 2021 6:17PM
Dave why you don't consider drone photography is not upto the standard of general photography...

Photography is to capture the light, and whenever we see an image or photograph, we are seeing the light through the eyes of the photographer...

Think about high speed photography, you are working with a set up and you have to synchronize the camera to work in time, you are not seeing anything, your device is working in the right time and you are monitoring it...then you comment 'Excellent timing' WinkWinkWink...

In case of drone, you are also taking the image viewing it on the screen (not through the view finder), but every other thing is same...it brings new possibility or aspect to the photographer...
dudler Plus
17 1.6k 1832 England
12 Feb 2021 6:17PM
Dave, that's an interesting idea about copyright: the situation is novel because the photographer (who releases the shutter) is using the model's camera, and only ever has an electronic version of the image... I suspect that the barrack-room lawyers could have fun with that, but in practice the models I know of doing remote shoots understand that the copyright will rest with the person who is paying them!

I suppose that brings up a question about model release forms, which require extra steps and/or the use of the Royal Mail. They used to be a really big thing, but the vast majority of models are now pretty relaxed about usage and publication. There are exceptions, though, and it is worth checking with models, always!
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.3k 9 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2021 6:22PM

Quote:Dave why you don't consider drone photography is not upto the standard of general photography...

That's not what I said.
It's a variation on remote photography, I make no comment on quality or content.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.