Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Remote release/camera connect app via mobile...

12 Nov 2019 8:14AM
A remote release is expensive particularly when there is a free app available on the net to connect DSLR via wifi...

Can anybody please let me know whether that app could be used in case of bulb mode or how...as there is no such option of press and hold...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 38 Norway
12 Nov 2019 9:15AM
I think it depends on the make of your camera, Somnath. I know that Fuji and Canon have apps which include remote control of camera settings. I think you need to download the app for your make of camera and perhaps find a YouTube video on how to use it?
You have to make sure your camera has wifi, of course...Smile
12 Nov 2019 9:25AM
Thanks Malc...i have downloaded the app Camera Connect of Canon and also searched the net for the use of it...now can take image remotely and can change shutter speed, iso etc or even use the live view mode but there is no such button as press and hold for use of bulb mode...
sherlob Plus
13 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2019 11:39AM
Cable releases don't need to be expensive. I've used cheap 3rd party cable releases for years - usually bought on eBay for about 10. I begrudge paying the earth for Canon's own brand release when I'm so careless with them (often accidentally dunking them in water etc) - albeit I have recently learned an interesting trick to prevent this by applying some Velcro to the back of the cable release and the top of my tripod (I just need to buy some velcro).

Adam
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 38 Norway
12 Nov 2019 12:10PM
Somnath, I had this advice from someone else - it may be worth trying:
It may be camera dependent but as far as I can tell, you have to go into 'shoot menu' and set the bulb timer duration then trigger it with the app.
12 Nov 2019 12:33PM
Thanks Adam and Malc...Yes Adam, It is not much expensive to buy a cable release, but if remote release is available to you freely, do you still need to buy one...

Malc i have not seen it before but it is worth searching...

And after many searching i find that in case of bulb mode, first time pressing shutter release button of that app will start recording and if i press it second time it will stop recording...I have to try it...
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 38 Norway
12 Nov 2019 12:41PM

Quote:in case of bulb mode, first time pressing shutter release button of that app will start recording and if i press it second time it will stop recording

That sounds so logical now you say it...Smile
12 Nov 2019 12:47PM
Thanks Malc...
pink Plus
16 6.2k 7 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2019 5:36PM
The only issue with apps and mobile phones is that when its minus 5degrees (or just cold) and your phone battery dies then you need a manual back up, my Canon cable release (genuine) has been with me for over 20 years, I like the fact that it still fits my new camera each time, I'm sure that will end if I go mirrorless though :-(
12 Nov 2019 6:13PM
Thanks Ian...yes you are right, and i too have a cable release and it works perfectly with my 80d...i have planned for purchasing a remote release because in this December i have booked my journey to the Jaldapara National Park, West Bengal, India...where last time i had a dream to capture a landscape in the dense forest at night with full of fire flies, but to take images leaving the car was not safe...so planned this year to set the camera in the forest and being safe inside the car, i can control my camera with a remote release...but when i have heard about that app i think the app can work as a substitute of that remote release...
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 38 Norway
12 Nov 2019 6:15PM

Quote:The only issue with apps and mobile phones is that when its minus 5degrees (or just cold) and your phone battery dies then you need a manual back up, my Canon cable release (genuine) has been with me for over 20 years, I like the fact that it still fits my new camera each time, I'm sure that will end if I go mirrorless though :-(

I live in Norway and experience winter temperatures of lower than minus 20c and have never had a problem with phone batteries...
12 Nov 2019 6:21PM
Thanks Malc, in India except in Himalaya, we do not have that cold...
dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 600 England
12 Nov 2019 8:20PM
I've not had a problem with phone or camera batteries in the cold.

Quote:I like the fact that it still fits my new camera each time, I'm sure that will end if I go mirrorless though

There are two Canon types, both of which I had to acquire many years ago and one does fit my EOS R.
sherlob Plus
13 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2019 8:26PM

Quote:It is not much expensive to buy a cable release, but if remote release is available to you freely, do you still need to buy one...

I can think of several reasons:

1. You are not tied to your phone.
2. Your device for triggering the camera is not battery dependent
3. In some settings I really don't want to get my phone out due to the risk of dropping it (e.g. standing in surf)
4. I can operate the camera quickly and easily with gloves on.

I'm sure there are others. Personally, I think its worth a tenner...
12 Nov 2019 8:58PM
The canon app is quite good, I used it before to preview still life shot and check the image not really as a remote. The Fuji app I use all the time as a remote release as it just uses the Bluetooth, it makes timing in bulb mode easy. I just put the phone in a waterproof case when in sketchy places and there is always a portable battery pack in my bag to charge stuff (downside of always being on call).

Hope this helps
J

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.