Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Repacing A PSU in my desktop

cats_123 Plus
17 5.0k 30 Northern Ireland
24 Mar 2016 12:08PM
Hi everyone
tapping into the vast knowledge on here.

I'm getting a slight 'burning' smell from my desktop PC. Have had the side panel off and the smell seems to emanate from the PSU..it feels 'a little hot' too. I suspect the PSU is about to fail. 😣

I currently have a 'Winpower SL - 8460BTX'.

Q. I'm reasonably IT literate but have no idea what I should buy as a replacement....other than look for a similar match on ebay etc...Do I just look for a straight replacement? Is there a better online retailer than ebay, Amazon etc?

I've had a look on Youtube and it seems a relatively straightforward job to unscrew the PSU, detach the motherboard and other connectors and reverse the process.

I don't do any gaming or music or video downloading...mainly just surfing, email, social media and, of course uploading photos to EPZ 😊😊

Are there any pitfalls?

Any suggestions valued, many thanks.

GGAB Plus
5 31 1 United States
24 Mar 2016 12:51PM
Just my $0.02 worth.
Today's psu's have efficiency ratings:

80Plus
80Plus Bronze
80Plus Silver
80Plus Gold
80Plus Platinum

Obviously the more efficient the more costly.
Your current supply is a 450W supply with out a rating.
I don't know if you build your own systems or not, however here is an opportunity to upgrade to a larger supply with greater efficiency for the future system.
I don't know if the forum will allow links to sites, however try this

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/pc-power-supply-buyers-guide-march-2016/

It has a list of current psu's from 430 watts up and their efficiencies.
Good Luck
George
GGAB Plus
5 31 1 United States
24 Mar 2016 12:52PM
BTW, replacing a basic Power Supply is very straight forward.
George
cats_123 Plus
24 Mar 2016 1:07PM
Thanks, George....my PC was built for me some years ago...I'll have a look a the link...many thanks 😊

regards Jeff
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.2k 58 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2016 1:08PM
Google/Amazon says your have a 500W Power Supply at present - so make sure you get another 500W or greater unit.
In the past I've looked for one with a "quiet fan" as i once had a very noisy fan in a PSU.
Some low profile or brand specific PC's have custom shaped PSU's so you'll need to buy the same shape again - most generic PC's though use standard size PSU's
Double check your new PSU is not switchable between 120v/240v - make sure its set to 240v - though most are autosensing now days.

If you want to chance it you may find its just one of the electric noise suppression capacitors that is failing and won't materially affect anything other than EU compliance. However - If it does not fail safe it may instead catch fire etc. so not recommended.

When you do change yours over draw a quick sketch of what goes where and count the number of connectors you disconnect and reconnect.
cats_123 Plus
24 Mar 2016 1:25PM
80 Bronze

Looks like the prices are around 40-50 for the 'bronze' rating...........any favourites?
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
24 Mar 2016 1:34PM
I find that these are the best brand available. They are ultra reliable, the modular design cuts down on cables (you can detach ones not in use from the PSU itself) they are almost silent too.
kitz 14 437
24 Mar 2016 1:35PM
It is worth checking to see if it isn't just the fan failed first.
cats_123 Plus
24 Mar 2016 2:01PM

Quote:I find that these are the best brand available. They are ultra reliable, the modular design cuts down on cables (you can detach ones not in use from the PSU itself) they are almost silent too.

thanks, Chris..will check it out 😊
cats_123 Plus
24 Mar 2016 2:02PM

Quote:It is worth checking to see if it isn't just the fan failed first.
thanks 'kitz'...will have a look 😊
Big Bri 19 16.7k United Kingdom
24 Mar 2016 5:52PM
If it's not making a horrible noise, try blasting out the dust with an air blower first, and also from the heatsink on your processor.
Dust on the heatsink reduces its cooling, and heated dust does smell bad,

Big Bri 19 16.7k United Kingdom
24 Mar 2016 5:53PM
(and I agree, if you are going to change it, Corsair are very good)
cats_123 Plus
24 Mar 2016 6:16PM

Quote:If it's not making a horrible noise, try blasting out the dust with an air blower first, and also from the heatsink on your processor.
Dust on the heatsink reduces its cooling, and heated dust does smell bad,

I'll give that a try. It didn't look too dusty but you can't always tell...thanks
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
25 Mar 2016 12:06AM
I`ve built using OCZ, Corsair, EVGA and a bunch of other reasonable brands, all have been good.

Just avoid the really cheap stuff, look for a unit of around 400 watts and expect to pay between 30 and 40 quid, no need to go modular (you will only be paying extra)

IF you can build lego bricks you can replace a PSU.

PSU`s don`t just suddenly start smelling bad for dust, if its just come on I`d replace it.

Some thing like this should serve you well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Builder-Series-Bronze-Supply/dp/B009RMP14M/ref=pd_cp_147_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1PEDA3TGPEDE54AYWB8W
GGAB Plus
5 31 1 United States
25 Mar 2016 12:57AM
Something to think about:
Your entire system is a slave to the power supply.
They can have components that short, they can have components that when they fail cause a voltage or current surge or drop.
Don't go less than 500W and don't wait. A failure that causes a voltage drop is better than one that causes a voltage surge, however neither are very good.
Any of the PSU's in the link I sent you are quality and have Great Ratings on both Amazon as well as professional review sites.
Check warranties and availability.
Good Luck
George

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.