Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Replacement small lappy

Mozzytheboy 10 710 4 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2015 8:27PM
I use a small HP Pavilion dm1 during the evenings to generally just surf and research whatever whilst TV plays away in the background. Clearly a netbook is not much use for a lot else.

It needs changing and I have a budget of 750 for a 13" screen laptop. If I could I would run with a Macbook Pro with retina display; but at 1099 it is for now out of reach. I'd like to do some photo editing whilst sat all comfy n cosy. I use a 21.5" iMac during the day and since 2009 when bought it I have been delighted with my Mac. I've loads of questions really; but for now, could I be given a nudge to what unit for me might be a good un? I'm REALLY not a windows fan but sort of put up with it. I see Linux coming up a lot but I have NO idea what it is like as an OS. I'm thinking an 'ultrabook' might be a good move. I know it was a 'word' penned by Intel .. I think, so really no such unit really exists.

I'm retired and just do 'stuff' for a hobby and my own entertainment; but if anyone sees this post and immediately thinks they could recommend a replacement lappy, I'd be delighted for the thoughts.

750 is the top price I can go to.

Mozzy
Louise_Morris 11 2.5k England
18 Jan 2015 8:57PM
What about a MacBook Air @ 850 or a smaller 11.6 Air @ 749?
My Boss is absolutely Mac though and through and swears by the MacBook Air now - says he wouldn't buy a MacBook Pro again for himself.

Lou
18 Jan 2015 10:54PM
If you are happy with Mac and can afford the laptop- go for it. I am a PC man myself, use Linux as well, but the quality of Mac hardware is really worth appreciation.
PC is a superior system in terms of configuration, upgrade and repair fllexibility, but this seems to be a non-issue for a pure user. You pay for the service if the system breaks anyway.

Cheers!
hobbs 17 1.3k Japan
18 Jan 2015 11:38PM
Might be worth a look on the Apple clearance and refurb store, or if your flying anywhere soon ring up Dixons in the airport your flying from to see what prices they're charging. Did that myself about 3 years ago got a ex display MacBook Pro for 909, street retail price was about 1400.

Might be also worth waiting for about a month as rumours say something new is due out in the MacBook range.
Mozzytheboy 10 710 4 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2015 8:27AM

Quote:Might be worth a look on the Apple clearance and refurb store, or if your flying anywhere soon ring up Dixons in the airport your flying from to see what prices they're charging. Did that myself about 3 years ago got a ex display MacBook Pro for 909, street retail price was about 1400.

Might be also worth waiting for about a month as rumours say something new is due out in the MacBook range.

Yes I believe it is a MB Air with Retina display. I wonder if that might push the price of others down?

Mozzy
JackAllTog Plus
12 6.3k 58 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2015 5:35PM
Here (telecoms firm) we are loving the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with its own touch screen and pressure sensitive pen.
I've never seen it reviewed for photoshop but with its SSD drive should be very quick.
I'd certainly look at it for a small laptop requirement and all but the top end one should be in budget.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.