Save 60% On inPixio Eclipse HDR Pro

Replacing old images with larger versions....


Ian G W 17 398 3 England
14 Oct 2012 9:12AM
.....is there a way I can replace my older non E2 images with larger versions and keep the comments/votes intact?

Ian.
14 Oct 2012 9:24AM

Quote:.....is there a way I can replace my older non E2 images with larger versions and keep the comments/votes intact?

Ian.



That's a good idea Ian. Hope someone comes back with a positive answer.
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
14 Oct 2012 9:36AM
You can upload a version which can be E2 size and then use the Manage Version option on your photo to make this version the dominant one.

As far as I know there is no current facility for completely replacing a photo with a larger version.
14 Oct 2012 9:49AM

Quote:You can upload a version which can be E2 size and then use the Manage Version option on your photo to make this version the dominant one.


I don't think you can do that. Once you've uploaded versions you can re-order them from version 2 onwards but you can't change version 1 i.e. the dominant one
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
14 Oct 2012 9:51AM

Quote:I don't think you can do that. Once you've uploaded versions you can re-order them from version 2 onwards but you can't change version 1 i.e. the dominant one


You are right. In answer to the OPs question, there is no way to do it.
Ian G W 17 398 3 England
14 Oct 2012 10:01AM
OK thank you.....I thought not!

I wonder if it's something that the site could consider? I'm sure there are a few like me who have older pics at the 600 pixel size that they'd like to replace but not lose the comments that people have taken the time to make. (I'd include awards in this, but I haven't got any! Others probably have.)

Ian.
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
14 Oct 2012 10:03AM
Ah ok It's been a while since I had E2 and forgot you couldn't reorder from the 1st one.. Tongue

Thanks Alan & Chris.
14 Oct 2012 10:03AM

Quote:..... In answer to the OPs question, there is no way to do it.


maybe it's something the management could look at..?
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
14 Oct 2012 10:09AM
We are currently working on a new feature that will allow large versions to be added to existing photos. Watch this space Smile
14 Oct 2012 10:12AM

Quote:We are currently working on a new feature that will allow large versions to be added to existing photos. Watch this space Smile


Great Grin
SlowSong Plus
12 9.5k 30 England
14 Oct 2012 10:14AM
That's a good idea. But going back to what someone mentioned above, quite often we load versions and then wish we'd made one of the versions the Main pic. I wonder if there could be some way that we could change the Main picture, with an automatic explanation shown as to what we've done (i.e. This image was previously version *), so that people don't get confused if reading comments and finding the picture's changed.

I often upload versions but I don't like uploading the similar images all the time. So sometimes pictures that people have really liked are left hidden in the versions. Or sometimes I've amended an image and find that the version is much better than the top one but doesn't get seen so much.

Smile
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
14 Oct 2012 5:12PM

Quote:I'm sure there are a few like me who have older pics at the 600 pixel size that they'd like to replace but not lose the comments that people have taken the time to make.

And I am not so sure that replacing an image with another after comments etc. have been left is a such a good idea.

Just suppose one also made some changes, other than re-sizing, thus perhaps making comments meaningless Wink
SlowSong Plus
12 9.5k 30 England
14 Oct 2012 5:34PM

Quote:And I am not so sure that replacing an image with another after comments etc. have been left is a such a good idea.

That's why I suggested the explanation as to what was changed to be added. For example, in my last upload I amended and improved it and everyone, including me, preferred V2. So why can't I now make V2, V1, and have an explanation to say This image was previously Version whatever? It's not something we'd do all the time but now and again it would be useful. After all, the people who have commented have already seen both.
ringyneck 14 315 18 United Kingdom
14 Oct 2012 8:45PM
I have been changing the dominant one with another one for years without loosing the comments and voters........HOW.......easy - well not really.
What you do is copy all the comments made to a save file and then the voters.
Delete the whole page...image/comments/voters.
Then re-submit the new image with an explanation thanking all the previous viewers/voters then after uploading the new image quickly in a comment box load the copy of all the previous comments again thanking everyone.
See told you it was easy......where there's a will there's a way - especially for someone who always gets it wrong aver and over again.

Keith

p.s. I did it today and put a finished image rather than the poor one on as a V2.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.5k 30 England
14 Oct 2012 8:59PM
Like your style, Ringy. SmileSmileSmile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.