Save 60% On inPixio Eclipse HDR Pro

resizing an image for pf

DannoM 12 58 England
19 Aug 2009 11:10PM
sorry if this has been asked before i have tried the search. also it may sound abit basic but when resizing an image for my ephotozine pf i simply resize it to 1000 width or height and then save.

Am i right in thinking that when viewing large on the web the quality will never be as good as the full size image saved on your pc?

Is this the best way to resize?

thanks
banehawi Plus
16 2.4k 4217 Canada
20 Aug 2009 12:03AM
If your using Photoshop, - you can use the save for web feature, this will also give you the option for file size which you need. Remember to sharpen it though after you re size.

W
SteveCharles 18 2.3k 18 England
20 Aug 2009 12:36AM
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
20 Aug 2009 12:39AM

Quote:Am i right in thinking that when viewing large on the web the quality will never be as good as the full size image saved on your pc?

Thats about the size of it....Wink

To put it into perspective, Your taking an image thats in and or around the 3500 to 4500 pixels ( largest side ) And dumping 2500 or 3500 pixels ( respectively ) ......Sad

Sumfins gotta give.....So in a nutshell, The original image as viewed by you on your computer screen, May be blinding in detail & resolution.......However, Cut down it may loose some of the WOW factor......

From my observations, Some types of images are affected more than others..Images with lots of tiny detail for example, However if the original is right on the money, It should fair well at a reduced size.
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
20 Aug 2009 3:29AM
After resizing always check the sharpness and add a little sharpening if necessary. This can help to retain the perceived quality of the picture.
DannoM 12 58 England
20 Aug 2009 8:12AM
thanks for replying, i sharpen if needed and then resize, shall i be doing this after resizing or as well as?
SteveCharles 18 2.3k 18 England
20 Aug 2009 10:10AM
Sharpening should be the last action, after resizing. You shouldn't really be sharpening before, although your last upload looks pretty damn sharp to me so whatever you do seems to work!
DannoM 12 58 England
20 Aug 2009 11:20AM
oh im doing things wrong, im no expert in ps as u can tell. I get the image off the camera, levels curves etc, sharpen and then resize. Guess my order is all wrong
John_Frid 15 514 57 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2009 5:20PM
Danno - judging by your last upload, if your doing it wrong then I want to do it wrong as well.

Strictly speaking the best results will come if you sharpen after resizing, however, sometimes the margin of improvement can be small to invisible.
DannoM 12 58 England
20 Aug 2009 11:39PM
with the darter i did sharpen a very small touch after resizing, compared to the other version(sharpen before resize) i did it was better. Thanks all.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.