Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Resizing for Printing

DannoM 12 58 England
10 Jun 2010 5:20PM
I finally going to get round to printing some of my photos. When resizing to say 16 x 12 is the best way to just go into image-resize in cs2 and change the image size from 14 x 9(default size of raw) to the 16 x 12 print size? will i lose quality doing this as the image is being scaled up.

The dpi is set at 300, is this too high?

Also when taking the image to the printers is it best to save as a tiff or jpeg?

Many thanks, very new to printing game.
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
10 Jun 2010 5:35PM
Do it in CS2, Use the crop tool set to 16 X 12 ( hope we are talkin inches here...Smile ) Make sure the " ppi " is set to 300 .....Smile

Upscaling by that much will hardly notice any quality issues.

As for what the printer requires, Best ask them....!!!

Some may want TIFF some are happy with JPEG........But do check your colour profile too, In most cases if your shooting Adobe RGB, You may need to convert to sRGB, Again ask the printer who is doing your job for you.

Thats about the Size of it......Grin

When I say crop tool set up the reason is that the " Aspect Ratio " width/hieght etc of your standard image will not fit the 16 x 12 aspect ratio exactly, To achieve this you use the " Crop Tool " so basically you decide what part of the image gets chopped off......Smile If you don't do it this way, Your aspect will change and your image will be distorted...!!
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
10 Jun 2010 5:51PM
Oh! Sumfin else you may want to know......Smile

The amount of " Sharpening " required for printing can/should be higher than that used for display on a computer screen.....!!!

What looks horribly oversharpened on a display monitor, Will print perfectly.

How much you " Print Sharpen " is up to you, As a safe giude bump it up by around 20% beyond where it looks about right on the screen.

Again you can discuse that with your print lab, If your unsure......Smile
DannoM 12 58 England
10 Jun 2010 5:56PM
wicked thanks for that. was wondering about the sharpening as when enlarged it seemed to need more sharpening than usual

thanks

Dan

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.