Get 20% Off PortraitPro 22 With Our Exclusive Code

Resolution Problem

ryhne 4 2
20 Jun 2017 11:30AM
I started photography as a Hobby a year ago and I'm still new in it.
I have a Canon 750d with ef-s18-55mm lens
but the photos don't have high resolution especially when I zoom in with my laptop, it gets blurry. I tried to use ios100 but still not good.
how can I take photos with better resolution? should I edit the photos with photoshop? or buy a new lens?
Philh04 16 2.3k United Kingdom
20 Jun 2017 11:44AM
Without seeing examples it is hard to give any advice. Your combo should give acceptably sharp results however there a many factors in play, what aperture? What shutter speed? What focus mode? Number of focus points in use? How much are you zooming in on your laptop?

Before going much further a lot of things need to be eliminated. So try and upload an example that demonstrates your problems, perhaps with a screen shot of your zoomed in image.

Phil
Carabosse 18 41.8k 270 England
20 Jun 2017 11:44AM
Welcome to EPZ. Smile

Resolution and blurriness are two different things. Resolution is basically the size of the photo.

If your photos are blurry, try using a tripod and see if that helps.
thewilliam2 4 1.6k United Kingdom
20 Jun 2017 11:47AM
I don't know Canon cameras, but are you expecting too much in the way of resolution? How many pixels does your camera have? Are you using too much magnification?

The Nikon equivalent of your 18-55 is a very good lens indeed but it still needs to be focused in the right place. A few years back, one of my "mentees" was letting his camera focus on the background between the two heads in the shot. This was sorted once I'd taught him to lock the focus on the subject's eyes and then re-compose the shot.

Another consideration is camera-shake. Check the metadata of the offending shots. What shutter speed have you been using? Have you been holding the camera correctly? Keep your elbows close to your body and the camera pressed to your face. Support the lens from underneath with your left hand. Experienced photographers can get a good shot at 1/2 second using a standard lens without VR.

When you wind up the ISO, the pix shouldn't get blurry, just noisy.

Hope this helps
RoyBoy 17 303 2 United Kingdom
20 Jun 2017 10:28PM
I dont think it the kit. I suspect that it is user error.
I remember when I started I didn't realise that the all point auto focus was on and in effect the camera was deciding where to focus.
Try this.
Make sure that your camera is set to a high resolution not a small res jpeg.
Set the aperture to f8 or higher
Set an ISO of say 200
Set the camera to a single point of focus.
Look through the viewfinder and make sure that the single point of focus is locked onto the place you want to be sharp and see what shutter speed you would be getting. Assuming your focal length is at the farthest reach of your lens (namely 55mm) make sure that you have a shutter speed of say 120thsec. If not either increase your ISO to say 400 or put camera on a tripod. Compose your shot making sure that your focus is where you want is. Take the shot....your image should be sharp.
All the settings I have given provide some flexibility and as you gain more experience you will be able to adjust all the settings to fine tune your work and become more creative so far as the technical side of photography is concerned. The best advice I can give is to say the more you engage in photography and experiment with camera settings the better you will become and after a while it will all become second nature. Enjoy!
20 Jun 2017 10:49PM
If you still think there's something wrong with your kit after doing these tests, try your lens on a known good body and then fit a known good lens to your body to do some more checks. Do any friends use Canon?
Carabosse 18 41.8k 270 England
21 Jun 2017 1:54AM
I'm guessing the OP has never used a DSLR before. Smile
21 Jun 2017 9:01AM

Quote:I'm guessing the OP has never used a DSLR before. Smile

Exactly, which is why we need to know more, as in my first post, until all the variables are eliminated it is hard to say what the error is, one can speculate but one can not pin point the cause.
21 Jun 2017 11:37AM
Which is why it's our responsibility to help a new member where we can!

As a recently retired full-timer, I've been used to testing my kit. Nothing is ever used for a job until its passed my goods-inwards test and found to be working properly. Then, when I suspect something may not be quite right, it gets tested so that I can isolate the offending item.

If the OP gets into this habit from the start, it'll save a lot of heartache and hassle!
21 Jun 2017 11:45AM

Quote:Which is why it's our responsibility to help a new member where we can!

Did I say otherwise? Of course we should be helping a new member when and where we can, all I am saying is we need the OP to come back with a bit more information so that we can zero in and offer helpful advice, giving them lots of do this, try that will likely confuse them even more.

Whether you are a recently retired full timer is neither here nor there, I am too, but before getting into testing and trying out all bits of kit I believe we need to drill down to what the cause is here and take it from there.
mrswoolybill Plus
15 3.0k 2465 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2017 12:32PM
Reyhaneh, can I suggest that you upload a photo into the Gallery and tick the Critique wanted box when you do so. Upload an original jpeg, don't use Save for web as that strips data from the file. Give a note of your problem in the Description box for the picture.

People will then be able to examine the image, including your camera settings, and try to give advice. This is what the Critique Gallery is there for!
Regards,
Moira
21 Jun 2017 12:53PM
Sensible advice, especially if the OP isn't able to get help from somebody who's familiar with the kit. That's one advantage of camera club membership.

Being completely unfamiliar with Canon kit, I can tell whether something is working at all but wouldn't know whether it's working properly. Sixty-something years of experience doesn't help here.

It might just be as simple as the OP winding the magnification up too far when viewing the pix. There comes a point when the result from any camera will look fuzzy!

One useful trick is to press Control plus Alt plus 0 (Zero) when the image is open in Photoshop. This will then show the image at 100%, whatever the pixel count.
ryhne 4 2
23 Jun 2017 10:14AM
Thank you all for your answers.
and sorry for my late reply. I didn't get any notification emails Sad
here is an example:
(f/4.5, 1/50 sec, ISO 125, Focal length 33mm, 6000 x 4000 (5,8MB))
306969_1498208192.jpg

and this is ~70% zoom in with my laptop:
306969_1498208796.jpg

Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
23 Jun 2017 10:59AM
1/50th second hand held isn't ideal. Camera movement and tree breeze will cause motion blur.

Having said that, I think your shot is possibly not sharply focussed,

Could it be that focus was actually resting on the nearest object (tree trunk top right)?

23 Jun 2017 11:15AM
Bear in mind that we can only focus on ONE distance for the shot. Anything nearer or further away than this focus point will be unsharp to a greater or lesser extent. The selected aperture f4.5 is probably wide open for this lens where depth of field is minimum. Experienced photographers shoot wide open when we want to isolate a subject from its background. This subject has considerable depth and f11 or f16 would have given a more satisfactory result but with the camera on a tripod of other firm support. You could have increased the ISO but cameras vary so test to find out how far.

I'd urge the OP to look up a tutorial about depth of field

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.