GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Revert to Pre Spyder calibration

Daffy1 11 386 Ireland
4 Oct 2018 11:54AM
I have calibrated my laptop using Spyder Pro 3 but my 2nd monitor is awful how do I undo the calibration ? Please help

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tianshi_angie 4 2.6k England
4 Oct 2018 1:15PM
Should you not also be calibrating your second monitor?
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
4 Oct 2018 2:04PM
Chances are that the laptop will not support two profiles so the profile for the laptop monitor will also be being used for the output to the second monitor, hence the second monitor will not be looking good.

It is worth checking if your graphics card is capable of supporting two LUT's (Look Up Tables)

If it cannot support two LUT's then one should calibrate and profile the primary monitor, i.e. the one you will be viewing your mages on, leave the other to its own devices and use for the display of tools etc.

I am not sure on Windows but you should be able to remove the profile somewhere within your display preferences.
4 Oct 2018 2:21PM
In Windows 10, if you right click on the desktop screen a menu will pop up , towards the bottom is 'Display Setting'. Click on this and the settings for your display on your laptop will be listed . On the left hand side of the displayed list is 'Display' and on the right there is, in a grey box, 'Multiple Displays'. There is, just underneath, a choice of 'Connect to a Wireless Display' to which there is a conditional statement and there is the possibility of Windows 'Detecting' extra displays. Following this procedure may help the two displays to be synchronised.
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
4 Oct 2018 2:40PM

Quote:Following this procedure may help the two displays to be synchronised.

Not sure if that will make much difference to be honest, if the graphics card cannot support two LUT's then one or the other monitor is going to look out of kilter, each monitor will need its own LUT, two monitors cannot share... Simply calibrate and profile the display you will be viewing the image on and use the other for the display of tool pallets etc.
4 Oct 2018 6:38PM
Would the Windows 'Detect' extra displays not give him some idea of whether or not it is possible? Having only ever had one display I am as much in the dark as Daffy is and would have thought that the OS would give some guidance.
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
4 Oct 2018 6:53PM

Quote:Would the Windows 'Detect' extra displays not give him some idea of whether or not it is possible? Having only ever had one display I am as much in the dark as Daffy is and would have thought that the OS would give some guidance.

I really have no idea Angie, I am a Mac user, and have no idea idea whether the Windows operating system will offer any clue as to whether the card supports dual LUT's.

The technical specs will obviously give the answer or hopefully @Daniel66 reads this, his knowledge of colour management far surpasses mine...
4 Oct 2018 7:53PM
Thanks Phil.
Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
4 Oct 2018 10:39PM
If you identify the Graphics card, you can then view the details on the manufacturers website. I suspect most graphic cards that support gaming will support two channels. For Laptops, until recently, unless you specifically chose a graphics card, you probably could not support two channels independently calibrated. For my camera club, this is essential so we can calibrate the Laptop screen and the projector used with it. The last Laptop we bought, we found PC World had no clue about the graphics performance of a particular Dell model so we contacted Dell who were able to assure us with the particular model (not one of their cheapest) so we bought from Dell directly and it is fine.

So why not check the specification for your laptop going back to the manufacturer, if necessary. I have used duel monitors personally for many years now and both are calibrated. I use a Spyder 3 Pro which is perfectly happy calibrating each monitor independently. However, I am running a PC with a good graphics card.

Dave
sausage Plus
15 604 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2018 9:19AM
I did read somewhere that you cannot calibrate some laptop monitors. I would always calibrate the external monitor.
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
5 Oct 2018 12:10PM
First thing I'd suggest is not bother getting advice from anyone who doesn't use 2 monitors or uses a Mac.

Now then, when you calibrated, did you do one, then move the Spyder to other, say "calibrate other monitor" and do the process on there ?

If not, have you actually tried that ?

If it doesn't allow you to, then your card won't accept a profile per outpu (must be quite old). If you did do both, but you are unhappy with the calibration, run the Profile Chooser, which should pop up a window on both screens. On the screen you are not happy with, Click on one of the greyed out options (sRGB color space ?) and although it will give you a warning, it should still revert to effectively no profile.

If you're profiling one and it's using the same profile for both screens, you have three options I think
- run the calibration on the screen you are going to be using
- uninstall it
- buy a better laptop

All the above is advice based on my experience of having a laptop that does allow me to calibrate both.
Daffy1 11 386 Ireland
5 Oct 2018 12:38PM
I solved my problem. I uninstalled the Spyder software and restarted my computer. My original settings were the best. Damian
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
5 Oct 2018 12:47PM

Quote:not bother getting advice from anyone who doesn't use 2 monitors or uses a Mac.

Tongue

Good that someone with knowledge of the Windows OS has commented, however it looks like the OP has found their own solution.
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
5 Oct 2018 12:56PM

Quote: it looks like the OP has found their own solution.

Or option 2 from my advice Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.