Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exclusive 25% off Affinity Photo: Professional photo editing with no subscription!

Richie's Special Mike! - What is it?

wotashot 14 2.2k
16 Jan 2007 11:20PM
Its bothered me for ages has this one, In "Living On A Prayer" richie sambora does the wo woooa wooa woa wo woa bit with a funny looking mike which sits alongside his regular one, what is it? Its got a bit that goes into his mouth an looks strange.

Can anyone shed any light on it?


Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jeanie Plus
14 6.0k 6 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2007 11:25PM
Sounds like the same gadget that Dave Gilmour used when with Pink Floyd...I have no idea what its called, and the man who might have the answer is in beddieboes...

: )
stevenj 14 2.0k England
16 Jan 2007 11:38PM
It's a talkbox. It lets you 'shape' the sound of an instrument (guitar) like a vocoder. Gilmour did indeed use them with the Floyd.

I'm sure someone will back me up and go further!
VolcanoCowboy 12 157 England
17 Jan 2007 4:28AM
Is this far enough? Tongue

Richie uses it quite a lot.
digicammad 15 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2007 8:25AM
Nobody could forget the awful record Cher made using one, but does anybody remember Frampton Comes Alive?

Geoffphoto 12 13.5k United Kingdom
17 Jan 2007 8:26AM
Ah the old Talk Box, used of course by Jeff Beck , Peter Frampton ( Show Me The Way) and brilliantly by Joe Walsh in " Rocky Mountain Way" , basically you talk the note through the mic.

PS. I think that the old Cher record (Believe) was made using a vocoder, slightly different !!

[link=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocoder] here [/link]
Ewan 15 383 Scotland
17 Jan 2007 12:30PM

Quote:Its bothered me for ages has this one

You're not kidding; it's been out for 20 years Wink
keithh Plus
14 25.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
17 Jan 2007 12:31PM

more like 30 odd
jeanie Plus
14 6.0k 6 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2007 12:32PM
LOL it's older than Jamie!
Anthony 16 5.6k 17 Scotland
17 Jan 2007 1:40PM
i have memory cards older than Jamie.

Only kidding mate....

66tricky 11 742 Scotland
17 Jan 2007 3:25PM
IIRC the work by taking the guitar signal and amplifying it in the box into a small, high power speaker. The sound then travels from the speaker up the tube into the player's mouth. Movements of the mouth then mould the guitar sound and it is picked up by the microphone that the player was using for singing. Old ones carried the risk of the player's saliva running down the tube, shorting the circuit and giving them a shock back up the tube.

Here's one: http://www.activemusician.com/item--EM.BANSHEE
Kris_Dutson 15 8.2k 1 England
17 Jan 2007 3:41PM
I still have the scars...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.