Riga Latvia,any tips

v8dunc 13 333 4 Scotland
5 Nov 2009 7:01PM
Hi all,off to Riga in Latvia in april next year(my son is playing for Scotland in an ice hockey tournament),will have a few spare days to look around.Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Duncan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Bucks 17 238
5 Nov 2009 8:11PM
Start at the Centre- Blackhead house, Tourist Office, Museum of Occupation, Riflemen Statue (complete with awkward history- Latvia's biggest oppressor was the USSR, in WWII they were Liberated by Germany- Is my enemy's enemy necessarily my friend?) 3 cool churches (one with a tall, open the public spire) and narrow cobblestone car free streets. the castle is close enough too.
further out the TV tower and new bridge are worth a look, kinda. further out on the other side, the old town is a world heritage site- due to the wooden buildings, which have great picture potential which I completely failed to capture.
Double Coffee and Cili Pica are to be recommended.
Scutter Plus
12 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2009 8:30PM
Don't know it as well as Bucks by the sound of it but I agree re Museum of Occupation (makes you appreciate being British (or Scottish!). I also found the undercover market (Central Market) in the old aircraft hangers well worth a look certainly amazed me anyway (simple country boy that I am) although row after row of pork butchers was a bit much as I was suffering from dodgy guts at the time! Some amazing opportunities for street photography as well as the architecture!
Enjoy your visit! Smile
Ben
v8dunc 13 333 4 Scotland
5 Nov 2009 9:45PM
Thanks for the replys ,looks like there will be plenty to do when not in an ice rink.
paulcr 15 1.5k 9 Ireland
5 Nov 2009 10:50PM
The view from the Hotel Riga is worth a look and St peters cathedral for a full view of the city. Hockey matches are great there. Went to one when I was there in Sept. Great atmosphere and Riga Dynamo won the game so the beer flowed afterward Smile
Spent a week in Latvia in Sept but only 2 days in the city but a city worth visiting all the same.
Enjoy.
paul
v8dunc 13 333 4 Scotland
5 Nov 2009 11:03PM
Thanks Paul,hopefully we can beat the opposition. Thanks for the tips

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.