Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

RIP Margaret Thatcher

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : Enough is enough

collywobles 17 4.1k 10 United Kingdom
8 Apr 2013 3:33PM
Just received the sad news that Mrs Thatcher has died today. She changed this country and its people for the better.
Nigeyboy 13 1.0k United Kingdom
8 Apr 2013 3:37PM
This could get interesting!!! Wink
LesJD 9 159 Wales
8 Apr 2013 3:38PM
I think you might get a few disagreeing with you regarding the way she changed the country and it's people. One of the great Britons for sure though.
Earlier on a thread that appeared to have celebratory tone was removed.I never got the chance to read it but the title heading was in poor taste.
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
8 Apr 2013 3:57PM
I admire her commitment and self-belief. As to the rest, well I'm not going to get involved. Wink
NaturesHaven 10 283 6 England
8 Apr 2013 4:01PM
We've already had nasty comments on EPZ with regards to Mrs Thatcher.............and there will be more nasty comments from more nasty people..............have some respect, whatever your political likes or dislikes we should still show respect..........especially for her children who are still living............

I do wonder if EPZ is a photography site or just an outlet for nasty people to make vile comments on anything and everything they disagree with.............it's more of a rant site than a photography site........

To those people making vile comments let us hope when your time comes to depart this world people have respect for you and the ones left behind...........but as someone said yesterday on a forum "Once a hater always a hat"
Louise_Morris 11 2.5k England
8 Apr 2013 4:05PM
Couldn't agree more Julia - whatever your political allegiance there is no need for tasteless comments.
Carabosse 18 41.7k 270 England
8 Apr 2013 4:12PM

Quote:we should still show respect..........especially for her children who are still living

A lot of people don't have a great deal of respect for the children either, unfortunately.

It is highly unlikely any of the Thatcher family are looking in on the forum of a specialst photography website. So if people want to express their views - whatever they may be - I don't see they should be gagged.

Personally I feel total indifference. She left office 23 years ago... and they say a week is a long time in politics! Wink
redsnappa 19 2.8k United Kingdom
8 Apr 2013 4:37PM

Quote: whatever your political likes or dislikes we should still show respect
Why should people pretend they have any respect for that woman just because she is dead?
saltireblue Plus
11 12.2k 76 Norway
8 Apr 2013 4:43PM

Quote:Why should people pretend they have any respect for that woman just because she is dead?

Nobody is suggesting that anyone should pretend to have respect. You either respect her or you don't. Nothing at all about pretence.
KevSB 17 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
Rip to a mother, daughter. The rest now no longer matters, the comments shows more about the haters tbh, enough said
It's very interesting isn't it? Even people who profess atheism/agnosticism come over all sentimental and quasi-religious when a death is involved! Wink

I am told, by an organist friend of mine, that the humanist funerals he plays for are the very worst for droning on and the utter self-indulgence of the participants; you would think they would have more of a "Life's a bitch and then you die" approach. But not so, it seems.

In early centuries when deaths occurred at, generally speaking a much earlier age, there was much less fear and dread of it. Nowadays we can hardly bring ourselves to use direct words about death.
parallax 12 204 United Kingdom
8 Apr 2013 4:49PM
Thatcher was and still is a divisive topic.

The vast majority of her policies I strongly disagreed with.

However she did have balls.

More so than than many of the grasping careerist crooks that populate all political parties today.
monstersnowman 16 1.7k 1 England
8 Apr 2013 4:53PM
This is a respect thread so I hope those who have already posted insensitive posts stop and nobody else does so. There is a place for personal negative opinion and regardless of what you thought of the lady a respect thread regarding someone's death is not the place.

RIP Margaret Thatcher.
crash39 15 24 England
8 Apr 2013 4:55PM
Hear Hear monstersnowman..

RIP Mrs T
8 Apr 2013 4:56PM

Quote:This is a respect thread so I hope those who have already posted insensitive posts stop and nobody else does so. There is a place for personal negative opinion and regardless of what you thought of the lady a respect thread regarding someone's death is not the place.

This is exactly what I meant by sentimentality surrounding death.

Why do we have to give respect to a dead person who we would not have given such respect to in life? Answer: Our own morbid fear of death. No more no less.