Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

RIP Margaret Thatcher

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : Enough is enough

mikehit 12 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
8 Apr 2013 6:44PM
I thought that era finished with the election of the Labour party in 1997, with all that compassion and 'things only getting better' and stuff? Wink

And if it didn't end then....maybe, I'm confused...
steve_p 16 1.2k England
8 Apr 2013 6:50PM
Anything remotely political brings out the worst in people. Not just on this site,although it does have a large proportion of rude and offensive contributors, but in our local paper the letters pages really brings out the bigots!
seahawk 14 1.4k United Kingdom
8 Apr 2013 6:52PM
When I heard she had died I knew that there would be about 2 weeks of nastiness coming from those with an opposing political outlook; it's very easy to blame her for some things that would have happened anyway. If you want to see who destroyed the coal industry look no further than Messrs. Scargill and McGahey. Scargill makes me almost ashamed to be a Yorkshireman.

I agreed with some of her policies and strongly disagreed with others. The most reasonable assessment I've heard so far came from Roy Hattersley, a political opponent, who said that he disagreed with her principles but at least she had principles and was prepared to stick with them. He admired her for that, as did Neil Kinnock, Leader of the Opposition at the time.

The fact that she stuck to her principles was inevitably divisive, as that quality seems to be rare nowadays - too many politicians bend with the wind. Few members of the House are in her league today. It's interesting that her greatest personal friend in Parliament in her day seems to have been Dennis Skinner, a man with totally opposing views but who had immense respect for a worthy political adversary and the two of them got on famously on a personal level.

I often wonder if the bile directed at her by various people over the years was because she was female so the first woman PM, whoever that might have been, may well have received the same treatment. A strong, principled and intelligent woman PM was even more to be feared.

It would have been interesting to see how she would have dealt with Alex Salmond - she would probably have taken him apart in a debate!

I make no secret of the fact that I was a bit of an admirer of hers but I also admired Dennis Skinner for the same reasons, he's an honest man who sticks with what he believes.

One things's for sure - Parliament has been a lot less interesting since she left it.

Rant over! I'll now have to sit back and wait for the invective that's sure to come my way.
MikeRC 16 3.6k United Kingdom
8 Apr 2013 6:57PM
...like the OP said...RIP Mrs Thatcher...a great leader.
Graysta 16 1.1k England
8 Apr 2013 6:59PM

Quote: If you want to see who destroyed the coal industry look no further than Messrs. Scargill and McGahey. Scargill makes me almost ashamed to be a Yorkshireman.

That's a good point.

BUT we still have the Falkland's

Maggie a great leader you would want on yourside no matter of which faith
8 Apr 2013 7:07PM

Quote:
It would have been interesting to see how she would have dealt with Alex Salmond - she would probably have taken him apart in a debate!

What that has to do with her, her time in office, and her death i don't know. However, she would never have had a chance to take him apart since in those days Scotland was not allowed to have a voice under her 'rule'
cantona43 16 928 4 United Kingdom
8 Apr 2013 7:08PM

Quote:if you want to see who destroyed the coal industry look no further than Messrs. Scargill and McGahey. Scargill makes me almost ashamed to be a Yorkshireman.

Try telling that to the ex mining communities that are still picking up the pieces of the strike