Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Rip Off Britain

phillips 15 69 2 Scotland
2 Oct 2007 12:57PM
Not that I'm thinking of buying one, but.....how come the forthcoming Nikon D300 is available for pre order in the Uk at around 1300 and yet it's 900 in the US?
Musing on B&H's site I've also found that due to manufacturer's restrictions you can't buy from outside the US.
I know the cost will come down soon after launch, but even so price differential is significant.
Case of market decides or are we just being shafted?

Guy
miptog 16 3.6k 65 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2007 1:04PM
Why is there such a difference?
Tandberg 18 1.2k 2 England
2 Oct 2007 1:06PM
shafted i'd say..
Oh if only i could afford to live abroad..
But then no lake district,no scotland,And no Yorkshire..
Nightmare..

I'll stay and put up wi rip off Britain..But i dont like it
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2007 1:15PM

Quote:Oh if only i could afford to live abroad..
Err does that not mean that the UK is not an entire rip off?

I read some americans complaining that the UK has cash back from Canon, but none in the US.
stolzy 15 3.8k 7
2 Oct 2007 1:17PM
Think about it...in the UK your taxes (that includes VAT, income tax, national insurance, corporation tax, duty on cigarettes, alcohol and fuel and a zillion others) go to pay for NHS, unemployment insurance, disability benefit, universities, libraries and a bunch of other stuff.
These are all things that the average american has to pay for from their own pocket.
Other things are cheaper in the US because they are crap - did you ever drive an american car, live in an american house or use an american fridge, cooker or kettle. In europe we are used to goods of a quality that americans only dream of - the term 'imported' is still a token of quality in the US.
There is no rip off.
Brom 17 804 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2007 1:19PM
I had a discussion with nikon on this the other day and their excuse is that nikon uk and nikon usa as well as nikon inc being different companies (yet he admitted that they were all owned and staff appointed by nikon inc in japan.

Its all a set up so they can exploit customers as much as possible
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2007 1:21PM

Quote:Think about it...in the UK your taxes (that includes VAT, income tax, national insurance, corporation tax, duty on cigarettes, alcohol and fuel and a zillion others) go to pay for NHS, unemployment insurance, disability benefit, universities, libraries and a bunch of other stuff.
These are all things that the average american has to pay for from their own pocket.
Other things are cheaper in the US because they are crap - did you ever drive an american car, live in an american house or use an american fridge, cooker or kettle. In europe we are used to goods of a quality that americans only dream of - the term 'imported' is still a token of quality in the US.
There is no rip off.

Took the words right out of my mouth John.

Ian
stolzy 15 3.8k 7
2 Oct 2007 1:26PM

Quote:Its all a set up so they can exploit customers as much as possible

Or to put it another way, they charge what the market will stand. They make the value judgment between profit per unit and volume. its their product, they are entitled to do that to maximise their profit - that's nothing for them to be ashamed of, its the only reason they exist.
2 Oct 2007 1:28PM
Don't all businesses do the same? I set my rates according to what I believe the market will stand. If nobody buys my services I then consider reducing my rates.
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2007 1:36PM
Don't forget the US price will not include sales tax, so 900 is not the price you will actually pay.
john64 Plus
17 824 England
2 Oct 2007 1:37PM

Quote:If nobody buys my services I then consider reducing my rates

Spot on Ian.

My wife gets her hair cut at Toni & Guy 'cos she's willing to pay through the nose (I've tried explaining it, but now adopt a 'non-argument' strategy), but I get mine done by 'Julie at Trev's' because I won't pay more than a fiver.
joolsb 17 27.1k 38 Switzerland
2 Oct 2007 1:44PM

Quote:My wife gets her hair cut at Toni & Guy 'cos she's willing to pay through the nose (I've tried explaining it, but now adopt a 'non-argument' strategy), but I get mine done by 'Julie at Trev's' because I won't pay more than a fiver.

Having just looked at your profile pic, I would suggest that your wife probably has significantly more raw material for a hairdresser to work with and can therefore get better value for money by using a top stylist.... Wink
2 Oct 2007 1:44PM
Unfortunately most of my clients are like you John! Sad Smile
stolzy 15 3.8k 7
2 Oct 2007 1:55PM

Quote:Don't forget the US price will not include sales tax, so 900 is not the price you will actually pay.

In fact the sales tax is not payable on exported goods. Sales tax is levied state by state (not all have sales tax) which is why you see adverts which say residents of xyz state will be charged sales tax - if I understand correctly sales tax is only levied where the retailer and customer are in the same state.
cambirder 17 7.2k England
2 Oct 2007 2:03PM
But you will have to pay VAT on importing it which adds another 150.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.