Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Rip Off Britain

loweskid 20 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2007 5:31PM

Quote:
How about a "left leaning think tank"?

Yes but how can you trust a right-wing 'news' paper report about 'immigation' (sic) when they can't even spell the word ..!!

Perhaps people should read the report themselves and make up their own minds.
agoreira 18 6.0k Wales
23 Oct 2007 5:38PM

Quote:Likewise, you'll find many goods are cheaper in continental Europe than in the UK.

I know in places like Spain, you'd expect them to be, as wages are so much lower, but things seem to be much the same. In a Spanish forum I visit, an IT guy was offered a job in Spain, and whilst he expected a drop in wages, he was not prepared for a wage which was four times less than he could earn here! Similarly, a Spanish translator I knew, was filling in here, working in a sports shop, with no experience, but was on more than she earned in Spain as a translator. And all the Poles aren't here for the weather, they earn a wage here they could never dream of at home.
Krakman 15 3.6k Scotland
23 Oct 2007 5:47PM
That has quite a bit to do with exchange rates (though I'm not trying to say it's only that, of course). The pound has been very strong against other currencies for quite a while now (though it's been dropping rapidly in the last few weeks). So, in Poland a typical wage may be 3x less than in the UK, but the cost of living is also for many things getting on for 2-3x less. Of course the ideal (which many Poles do) is to earn in the UK and spend it in Poland...

Likewise the pound has been relatively strong against the Euro, which makes salaries in places like Spain look quite low. Knocking around in France and Germany you'll also find prices for many things relatively low compared to the UK.

With the pound dropping against the Euro, and the zloty rapidly climbing against both Euro and pound, the differences are closing...
TerryBaxter 15 11
23 Oct 2007 9:51PM
Small island, ridiculously big populous; I work for the NHS. It is under an even more ridiculous strain and it's going down the plughole rapidly. SRMSA? Non-existant when we used to wash our hands regularly. Need I say more? Wake up, or soon, it will be too late.

Terry.
SuziBlue 18 16.2k 10 Scotland
23 Oct 2007 10:07PM

Quote:SRMSA? Non-existant when we used to wash our hands regularly. Need I say more? Wake up, or soon, it will be too late.

What's that got to do with immigration? (Have worked for years in NHS too, both clinical and admin)
loweskid 20 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2007 10:10PM

Quote:Small island, ridiculously big populous;

Eighth largest island in the world.
Thirty fifth most populous country in the world. population densities
TerryBaxter 15 11
23 Oct 2007 10:22PM
It's got to do with critical mass; the doers and the don'ters, roads that won't budge at any time, including rush-hour, and land-fills that are full to bursting, and houses that are impossible to own. Not just a question of immigration and population density, but of sheer hard graft and self-sacrifice by previous generations, history and culture. We hand the torch down, gladly; make of it what you will. And with this, I think it is time for me to depart, too.

Thanks to Maiwand, Cheesey, Possum, and Chrisd.

Youv'e no idea how much you have enriched my life - photographic and otherwise.

Terry.
lampgb 15 3 United Kingdom
24 Oct 2007 11:09AM
At these sort of differentials in price, it is worth combining a holiday in the USA and buying a camera over there. Remove all packaging, take a few shots and bring it home. For the price you pay over here, you have had a cheap holiday and the camera you want
cambirder 17 7.2k England
24 Oct 2007 11:26AM

Quote:Remove all packaging, take a few shots and bring it home. For the price you pay over here, you have had a cheap holiday and the camera you want

And unless you declare it coming back into the UK you are also breaking the law. Why do you think removing the packaging and taking a few shots makes it exempt from VAT?

Once you pay VAT the differences can disappear totally. A Canon 5D from WE will end up costing you 1284 in the UK, from B&H in the US 1292.
steve_w 14 18
29 Oct 2007 12:08PM

Quote:Quote:Remove all packaging, take a few shots and bring it home. For the price you pay over here, you have had a cheap holiday and the camera you wantAnd unless you declare it coming back into the UK you are also breaking the law. Why do you think removing the packaging and taking a few shots makes it exempt from VAT?

Once you pay VAT the differences can disappear totally. A Canon 5D from WE will end up costing you 1284 in the UK, from B&H in the US 1292.

Wouldnt it be nice to not pay tax Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.