Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Rubbish Dumps?

Crazee1ady 14 16
25 Oct 2009 1:31PM
Hi, I am after taking a series of shots about man's impact on the environment, good or ill. EG am thinking of trip out to Whitsable for the wind farm and looking for a reasonably accessable landfill/rubbish dump in the SE region...anyone know of any or any other sites that would be good to shoot at?

Many Thanks

Jan X
rowarrior 13 4.4k 9 Scotland
25 Oct 2009 2:59PM
Maybe trying contacting the Environment Agency, or looking on their website for locations of these sorts of things - environmental licences are public record, and dumps etc need licences, so they should be able to tell you. If they won't tell you on the phone, make an appointment to go into your local office to view the records, they can't stop you Smile
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
25 Oct 2009 3:00PM
I can't recomend a site, but I do recall watching a BBC show on dumps and foxes - apparently quite a few will have foxes not only surviving of the waste (And the animals it attracts) but even denning in the dump itself.
Crazee1ady 14 16
25 Oct 2009 4:26PM
Cheers will try that :o)
collywobles 17 4.1k 10 United Kingdom
26 Oct 2009 8:03AM
I doubt very much if you will get acces permission to a council owned tip site because of the Health & Safety Acts. If you do you will certainly require hard hat and fluorescent jacket and probably safety boots.

Hope I'm wrong and if you do good luck.

Colin
Crazee1ady 14 16
26 Oct 2009 9:10AM
Shooting from a distance behind a fence, or from a hillside works equally as well ;o) I am after landscape not close up so "accessable" is the keyword rather than "access"

but thanks for the reply and wherever I go yeps, Health and Safety will be paramount, I don't want to fall off cliffs, disappear under a fork lift or have rotten trees falling on me ;o)
stomp 20 203 England
26 Oct 2009 5:00PM
Landfill sites are certainly out of bounds to the public and are very dangerous places to attempt to trespass on.

Even contractors have to go through induction course and training before being allowed on site.

Most sites are owned and/or run by large companies like Sita UK, Viridor, Biffa, Veolia and they will not allow you access.

Also, most landfill sites are hidden from the general public's view by means of screening of some type such as trees, bushes or manufactured screening or bunding.

The EA do have a public register of landfill sites but it is well hidden away in their site.

Steve
Crazee1ady 14 16
26 Oct 2009 5:03PM
Cheers Steve x
stomp 20 203 England
26 Oct 2009 5:06PM
Just found a link to an excel list of landfill sites for 2009

link

Steve
rowarrior 13 4.4k 9 Scotland
26 Oct 2009 5:33PM
if you go into your local EA office though you'll be able to see other sites not just landfill - look also at waste transfer stations for example
Crazee1ady 14 16
26 Oct 2009 6:43PM
brilliant :o) Thanks to everyone for their help so far I just need to research what isnt too far away and what can I kinda get to get decent shots of :o)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.