Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Ryzen 5 or i7 8th Generation?

Alokchitri 7 59 India
16 May 2018 7:45PM
Hello friends and fellow photographers

I am planning to upgrade my PC and I plan to extensively use both Lr and Ps 64bit versions.

The OS I use is Win 10 64bit.

I am in a dilemma. Should I go for Ryzen 5 2600 or 1600 or Intel i7 8th generation 8770. Ryzen 5 has more cores than Intel and more threads (6 cores and 12 threads) but lower clock speed than i7 8770.

I intend to use both these programs to edit 14bit NEF files each of size approximately 25MB. I also intend to use few external plugins like Topaz Labs and Google Nik collection. I need to work fast though I do not create graphic art from photographs.

Please guide me which would be more preferable. Let me know if any more information is required.

Thank you

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

DerekL 13 193 24 England
16 May 2018 7:59PM
16 May 2018 9:44PM
Probably won't make a lot of difference either way. The more memory you have, the better PS and LR work.

When I scan medium format colour negatives they can be twenty times the file size of your planned NEFs, and 8Gb RAM in an i7 laptop handles them well enough.
Alokchitri 7 59 India
17 May 2018 4:38AM
Thanks for the replies. Frankly speaking, I am still confused as there is no real test regarding the performance of Ps and Lr!
Nikonuser1 Plus
6 155 16 United Kingdom
17 May 2018 10:02AM
I built my own PC just over a year ago and used a AMD FX 6300 Piledriver, I used a Gigabyte motherboard,and a Gigabyte Nividia GTX 950 2G GPU, Corsair 8G ram, I run LR,PS,and Nik, with no probs.( I will install another 8 G soon.)

Hope this helpsSmile

Cliff
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.1k 58 United Kingdom
17 May 2018 6:22PM
The biggest speed up I've seen is using SSD instead of HDs. This is so when RAM swaps to disk it's much quicker.
Chris_L Plus
4 4.7k United Kingdom
17 May 2018 9:27PM
Absolutely SSD is so important for Lr catalogs and Ps scratch disks.

Don't overlook a decent graphics card with a decent amount of memory.

Ps and Lr are steadily increasing the tasks that they get graphics card to do in hardware instead of the CPU doing it in software. The right card can even accelerate colour adjustments.

Paul Morgan 17 19.2k 6 England
17 May 2018 10:28PM

Quote:Absolutely SSD is so important for Lr catalogs and Ps scratch disks

Do you find you need a scratch disk Chris.
Alokchitri 7 59 India
18 May 2018 4:49AM
Thanks. I intend to install a 16GB RAM stick but at this moment my budget is not going to allow me to buy an SSD. I also plan to buy a good Graphics card or at least I am going to use my old ATi 4700 512MB DDR5 Graphics card.

Still, I am worried about whether to go for Ryzen or Intel. At laptop with 8GB DDR4 takes ages to process a NEF file from D7200, and that I do not want with my new system.
18 May 2018 7:39PM
If you on a budget start with the memory and graphics, an SSD could always be added later.

Don`t get a single stick of memory get a matched pair.
Chris_L Plus
4 4.7k United Kingdom
18 May 2018 8:32PM
I notice Ps uses scratch disk space. I'm lucky to have i7 with plenty of RAM, my camera produces 42mp raw files but everything flies along nicely, if I adjust Noise Reduction in Lr that will get the fans going though.
18 May 2018 9:49PM
Yes you can set one up in Ps, if not it uses the main drive by default, its built in as a back up in case the memory gets a bit low, not been taking many pictures and not used Ps in the last 4 or 5 months but from you could even tell Ps how much memory to reserve ( I think)

Not noticed it being used on my desktop but it used its scratch disk like crazy on an old laptop with not a lot of ram.

I need to renew my Ps subscription but I want to get sorted with some decent fibre first.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.8k United Kingdom
19 May 2018 12:31PM

Quote:Yes you can set one up in Ps, if not it uses the main drive by default, its built in as a back up in case the memory gets a bit low, not been taking many pictures and not used Ps in the last 4 or 5 months but from you could even tell Ps how much memory to reserve ( I think)

Yes....

Just an observation but I have noticed that regardless of the amount of installed memory PS will still swap out to the scratch disk, this is on PC and Mac so having your scratch on a fast drive will be beneficial...
19 May 2018 10:00PM

Quote:
Quote:Yes you can set one up in Ps, if not it uses the main drive by default, its built in as a back up in case the memory gets a bit low, not been taking many pictures and not used Ps in the last 4 or 5 months but from you could even tell Ps how much memory to reserve ( I think)

Yes....

Just an observation but I have noticed that regardless of the amount of installed memory PS will still swap out to the scratch disk, this is on PC and Mac so having your scratch on a fast drive will be beneficial...

Nah not at all, if you have plenty of ram having a fast scratch area or a disk or ssd is of no real benefit, very much a myth.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.8k United Kingdom
20 May 2018 9:10AM

Quote:Nah not at all, if you have plenty of ram having a fast scratch area or a disk or ssd is of no real benefit, very much a myth.

Incorrect, I am afraid it is not a myth... Photoshop is a resource hungry application It will use a lot of memory and it will also always use scratch disk space no matter how much memory you have available.

More memory helps with performance but will not stop PS from using the scratch disk/s

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.