Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Sadly having to consider giving up my DSLR kit for now :-(


daviewat 16 4.1k Scotland
30 May 2009 10:19AM
It has got to the stage where I no longer am able to get out and about and enjoy the countryside and photograph it as well :-(


It was always about bieng outside as well that gave me vast pleasure.


But the knees etc are really so bad that i feel i should perhaps sell my DSLR kit, get a really nice compact and be satisfied for 2 or 3 years and see how the mobility is then ??


Sad thing to do as obviously resale is an expensive way to go but again the kit just sitting in a bag is not a lot of good to me as w ell :-(


Oh what to do.

Anyway keep an eye on the classifieds for D300 and a heap of kit :-(

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
30 May 2009 10:21AM
Maybe you just have a 'down' day?
csurry 17 9.2k 92
30 May 2009 10:24AM
What about still life, portraits, etc., there are so many photographic subjects that do not require a lot of physical movement.

I'd think it over a bit longer - I thinkyou may end up regretting it long term, just expand your subjects of interest. What about photos of your little girl, what moments might you miss because the compact can't keep up Smile
daviewat 16 4.1k Scotland
30 May 2009 10:25AM
Wish it was just that :-(

But I have been considering it for a while and to be honest having all the kit just sitting about, not bieng physically able enough to get out and about to use it, just seems to make me feel worse ?????
sut68 16 2.0k 76 England
30 May 2009 10:27AM
Keep hold of it mate, try a different tack and do some town/people shots ... some night stuff ... table top macro ... whatever you can manage comfortably.

Chin up big guy. If you do sell, then there'll be no hugs from her in November ... think on Wink
daviewat 16 4.1k Scotland
30 May 2009 10:28AM

Quote:What about still life, portraits, etc., there are so many photographic subjects that do not require a lot of physical movement.

I'd think it over a bit longer - I thinkyou may end up regretting it long term, just expand your subjects of interest. What about photos of your little girl, what moments might you miss because the compact can't keep up Smile




I know Cheryl have though about all that but to be honest still life etc never interested me much when I was fit and able Smile and still doesn`t really :-(


I loved the portrait stuff I was doing going round houses etc, thats impossible now :-( and was building up a good little past time with that Smile

But to do such stuff I would need a room or similar to use and cant do that, hostel wont allow it :-( and there is nothing else here in Pitlochry, except go down and kick my folks out thier house !!!!!!!!!!!!! he he that would not go down well.


I really just feel a total break is the only way to not worry about it ??? does that make sense ???


I can always tool up in a couple of years if things improve Smile
daviewat 16 4.1k Scotland
30 May 2009 10:29AM

Quote:Keep hold of it mate, try a different tack and do some town/people shots ... some night stuff ... table top macro ... whatever you can manage comfortably.

Chin up big guy. If you do sell, then there'll be no hugs from her in November ... think on Wink




he he well theres an incentive Smile


But seriously its akin to having your dream car or similar sitting in your driveway and not bieng able to drive it ?? you knoe that kind of feeling :-(


And also in 3 years my RAF pension matures Smile so I at least know that I could purchase new kit as well Smile
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
30 May 2009 10:31AM
If you can't get out and about with your DSLR with let's say 1 lens, would you be able to do that with a compact?
daviewat 16 4.1k Scotland
30 May 2009 10:33AM
No Ken but I would still feel happy bieng able to take nice pics of Megan etc as plays/grows etc.


I canny get out and about, thats the whole point, my little Leica compact is great as is my Ricoh so I am actualy covered there Smile
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
30 May 2009 10:38AM

Quote:I canny get out and about, thats the whole point

Ah, ok, thats what I thought. But you did say, you want to sell and get a nice compact.
daviewat 16 4.1k Scotland
30 May 2009 10:41AM
Yes true I was thinking of say a sigma dp2 or similar to have quality when needed but not thinking of trecking over the bonny mountains again :-( he he sadly.
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
30 May 2009 10:41AM
Maybe put them into classifies, and see what sort of money you would get, and make the decision.

With the gear price going up lately, it might not be bad?
daviewat 16 4.1k Scotland
30 May 2009 10:44AM
Thats what I was thinking Smile e-bay, NO !!!!!!! they are getting greedy, and a lot of scams just now :-(


As you say I can use the classifieds here and see what happens Smile and not be 100% commited i guess ???


But obviously not wanting to upset a potential purchaser as well ???
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
30 May 2009 10:46AM
Don't think you will.
Just think of a price you are after. If they agree, fine. If they don't, they won't do it. Simple.
pcheywood 14 1.3k England
30 May 2009 10:47AM

Quote:It has got to the stage where I no longer am able to get out and about and enjoy the countryside and photograph it as well :-(


It was always about bieng outside as well that gave me vast pleasure.


But the knees etc are really so bad that i feel i should perhaps sell my DSLR kit, get a really nice compact and be satisfied for 2 or 3 years and see how the mobility is then ??


Sad thing to do as obviously resale is an expensive way to go but again the kit just sitting in a bag is not a lot of good to me as w ell :-(


Oh what to do.

Anyway keep an eye on the classifieds for D300 and a heap of kit :-(



I know the feeling, after an accident I can no longer use or carry my DSLR kit, I know it should all be sold but it's still sitting here despite having offers from shops for the whole kit.

I got myself a Ricoh GX100. Fantastic to use but the IQ above 200ish leaves a lot to be desired. So I invested in a Sigma DP1, jackpot ! I've been looking at the DP2 but will leave it until I see if micro 4/3 can come up with anything.

Paul.


Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.