WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

San Francisco\Alcatraz Tours

Westers 15 3.9k 1 Burkina Faso
3 May 2005 5:35AM
I've got a 3 day stop in SF as the first part of our honeymoon and want to get a tour of the city and Alcatraz.

Anyone recommend a booking agent who can do set this up?

Thanks
tj Plus
17 2.1k England
3 May 2005 5:55AM
Hi Ian

This is an amazing tour; you'll love it!

My advice would be to book it as soon as you can when you arrive - your hotel should be able to help. Our hotel advised us of an internet site where we prebooked our tickets then picked them up from the harbour the morning of the trip (pier 42 rings a bell!)

Have a great time!
UserRemoved 16 4.2k
3 May 2005 5:55AM
You can book the Alcatraz tours online, the blue and gold fleets webpage is the place to go blue and gold

You need to book well in advance though to be sure of getting the day you want. They hire out voice recording tours on the island itself - cheapest and easiest way to do that.

Dunno about city tours, we hired a car (bad mistake - getting parked down at the piers at busy times is a complete nightmare - having to move the car at 5am outside the hotel due to street cleaning was also something I didnt count on Wink)
User_Removed 18 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
3 May 2005 6:15AM

Quote:want to get a tour of ...Alcatraz

If you bump into CB say "Hi" from me Wink
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
3 May 2005 6:26AM
CB is Alcapone?
mdpontin 16 6.0k Scotland
3 May 2005 6:33AM
CB is the legendary Birdman of Alcatraz, as can be proven by viewing his (in)famous picture of a Gatso with Kingfisher.

Doug
3 May 2005 6:51AM
Thanks folks and lol@Joe. Not hiring a car if I've got to get up at 5am so city tour is a must Smile

Seems there are several companies offering the same tour service on the net. Not going until September but the wife to be wants me to book early, lol.

Now, has anyone been to Maui? That's the next stop for 2.5 weeks and despite my love of the beach and sun, even I can't laze about for that long ,lol. (Pearl Harbour is on my list of things to do).

Hmmm, guess I should look at a light weight travel tripod. Can't go all that way and not get a sunset or two, lol.
vickyh 18 706 United Kingdom
3 May 2005 7:13AM
We couldn't get to alcatraz because we hadn't booked in advance and weren't in SF long enough.

I've been to Oahu and Maui. Both gorgeous and one of my favourite places on the planet.

Pearl Harbour is well worth going to. It's done very tastefully, really interesting and a bit emotional too. If you're in Oahu then snorkling at Hanauma Bay is great. There were sea turtles swimming right next to us as well as the fish.

Maui is lovely, but a bit quieter than Oahu. It's worth doing an all day hike in Mt Haleakala. It's a dormant volcano and the crater is fascinating. It feels like you're on Mars! There are also plants that grow in the crater that don't grow anywhere else in the world. We also did a rainforest trek on Maui.

So there's plenty of other things to do than just the beach, but I wouldn't spend your whole time on just one island. Splitting your time between Oahu and Maui or one of the other islands would make the trip more interesting.
colin 16 697 5 Scotland
3 May 2005 11:02AM
We spent 3 nights/ 2 full days in SF early March and booked our trip to online via Blue & Gold fleet as Joefox suggested. It was cheaper doing it directly as other websites took booking fees for the privelage - cost $47 (26 approx) for two adults for the evening tour (you pay a bit more, but apparently the extra goes towards upkeep,etc so you'd be as well going during the day.) The trip lasts around 3 hours, with an excellent audio tour. You'll enjoy it - very atmospheric.
We also took a City Tour with Tower Tours ($48 dollars for two) which lasted around 4 hours. Took you around the main city areas and was good for getting your bearings,etc. We also saw areas that weren't possible by foot, eg Twin Peaks where there are some stunning panaromic views of SF; The Victorians (original Victorian houses); to the Golden Gates National Park (toliet break only for about 20 minutes and across the Golden Gates Bridge. Again I'd recommend it. The tour guide was very friendly.
Take a look through my portfolio, I've posted quite a number of shots from my trip (we also went to Vegas, Grand canyon and Long Beach / LA)
If there is anything more specific you want to know, drop me an e-mail (on profile) or ask [link=https://www.ephotozine.com/gallery/showlargepic.cfm?photoid=264578]Patrick Smith
who is very obliging.
Enjoy your trip when it comes, you'll have a ball.
Colin
colin 16 697 5 Scotland
3 May 2005 11:03AM
We spent 3 nights/ 2 full days in SF early March and booked our trip to Alcatraz online via Blue & Gold fleet as Joefox suggested. It was cheaper doing it directly as other websites took booking fees for the privelage - cost $47 (26 approx) for two adults for the evening tour (you pay a bit more, but apparently the extra goes towards upkeep,etc so you'd be as well going during the day which I believe is slightly cheaper.) The trip lasts around 3 hours, with an excellent audio tour. You'll enjoy it - very atmospheric.
We also took a City Tour with Tower Tours ($48 dollars for two) which lasted around 4 hours. Took you around the main city areas and was good for getting your bearings,etc. We also saw areas that weren't possible by foot, eg Twin Peaks where there are some stunning panaromic views of SF; The Victorians (original Victorian houses); to the Golden Gates National Park (toliet break only for about 20 minutes and across the Golden Gates Bridge. Again I'd recommend it. The tour guide was very friendly.
Take a look through my portfolio, I've posted quite a number of shots from my trip (we also went to Vegas, Grand canyon and Long Beach / LA)
If there is anything more specific you want to know, drop me an e-mail (on profile) or ask Patrick Smith who is very obliging. He lives just outside SF.
Enjoy your trip when it comes, you'll have a ball.
Colin

PS Sorry about the above - this is what happens if you use the wrong type of bracket in your links !!!!
stuarthatton 15 15 England
3 May 2005 12:23PM
Hi Ian,

We were in SF in November - it is a fantastic place. Blue and gold fleet are the only company that do tours to Alcatraz and it really is simple to book online at their site and pick up the tickets when you get there. We went to Alcatraz twice - once on the regular day tour, once on the night tour. The two are the same except that during the night tour extra bits of the site are open. We got to go to the hospital section (torchlit tour - quite eerie) but there are very limited places for that so you have to try and be in the first group off the boat and amongst the first into the cellblock. They also demonstrated opening and closing the doors which they didn't do during the day. The only drawback was that the exercise yard wasn't open at night, but it was during the day. Either way it is an amazing place to visit!

Other must dos in SF - Sea Lions at Pier 39 (you could spend hours just watching them) and riding the Cable Cars - the sound, smell and feel of them as they go over the impossible hills. If you want any moe info on stuff to see in SF, my email address is on my profile page - just give me a shout.

Stuart
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
3 May 2005 1:19PM
Have look in on "Escape From Alcatraz" tonight at 11.15 BBC1

Clint Eastwood, Patrick McGoohan & Roberts Blossom.

Presumably it is based on the ***Fran Morris/John & Clarence Anglin escape attempt of 1962.

***Info from the Alctraz island Self-guiding Trail Booklet.

We will see!

jas
21 Jul 2005 12:51PM
Thanks folks - just revisiting as I've only just got my butt into gear for booking this.

lmao @ Jas - that's not quite the tour I was looking for. Classic film though.
kaybee 16 7.4k 26 Scotland
21 Jul 2005 2:38PM
When you go out to Alcatraz - take a jacket....even if it is roasting in the city it can be damned cold on the boat and on the island (especially the last evening trip).

For a tour of the city use the public transport (BART - Bay Area Rapid Transit) it is cheap and reliable. The cable cars can be very busy and they are the most uncomfortable mode of transport known to man (solid wheels and wooden seats) but a 'must do' - the Hyde line gives the best views down to Alcatraz and down Lombard Street (The only twisty street). Do NOT be te
mpted to walk about (other than down by the waterfront) because the hills WILL kill you.

Lastlty - if you need tour guides my wife and I are available (but you will need to get us there I am afraid....but our passports are valid and we have clean driving licences and experience of driving on the wrong side of the road)

Roy
debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
21 Jul 2005 2:42PM
My daughter is going to San Fran and Alcatraz in February...for a school trip.

I went to Chester Zoo for mine!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.