Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Sanctuary Wildlife Photo of the Year

StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
7 Nov 2017 8:58PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c 16 5.0k 36 England
7 Nov 2017 9:03PM
Perhaps a warning of what can be expected might have been appropriate!!!! It's not something everyone might want to see!!! SadSad
7 Nov 2017 9:05PM
I think the word disgusting describes it.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
7 Nov 2017 9:32PM
Horrific. I can't watch this stuff it's just so awful.
8 Nov 2017 7:28AM
Did you check out the rest of the images, an interesting insight into India’s wildlife
8 Nov 2017 7:41AM
If they keep this up, their wildlife is going to be scarce.
chris.maddock 18 3.7k United Kingdom
8 Nov 2017 8:14AM

Quote:Did you check out the rest of the images, an interesting insight into India’s wildlife

Indeed - it's only the first image (the winner) that's depicting abhorrent human behaviour.
To some extent that's countered by the two photos depicting efforts to rescue leopards from wells, whist the rest are simply photos that you'd see in any wildlife photo competition.
8 Nov 2017 4:58PM
It seems that the Indian authorities are perfectly aware of this nauseating practice, but choose to do nothing about it. Worldwide, they’re not the only government that turns a blind eye to heinous practices. Absolutely disgusting.
As Edmund Burke said, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

kaz1 Plus
9 134 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2017 2:33PM
That is absolutely appalling.
peterjones 17 4.9k 1 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2017 3:43PM
A frightful image:

Having travelled within India sad to say that many there do not respect, like or even care about animals; those that do, care passionately.

I can remember a nasty scenario in Assam where a shop keeper was beating a puppy with a stick because the poppy had the temerity to stray into the owner's shop; luckily the puppy escaped; in some parts of the world life is cheap.

When travelling to other parts of the world it is quite challenging even heart breaking to have to leave our UK values.

Peter.
9 Nov 2017 10:48PM
People who approve of, or take part in so-called honor killings are not likely to care about an animal. Different culture, and hard for us to understand.
MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
11 Nov 2017 3:09PM
...appalling,'''' It never ceases to amaze me at the lengths of evil we humans we humans will go to,...we have a lot to answer for when we are judged.
16 Nov 2017 7:35AM
Education can help, governments need to lead.
https://www.mnn.com/leaderboard/blogs/how-beehive-fences-help-elephants-and-farmers

Unfortunately I read this morning that a western government is now allowing Elephant 'trophies' to be imported again. Sad.
21 Nov 2017 8:07PM
That is not true, yet. Also, if they do, it will be for a logical reason; the countries from which these trophies would be exported, are poor, and the money would go towards maintaining their wildlife programs. It's hard for the average person who has not seen the alternative to understand how this works; all you have to see is the 10s of thousands of animals dying of starvation and disease in the wild because their numbers have increased to the point that the ecosystems can't support them. I've seen it first hand when I flew for the NL Wildlife Department. You don't have to watch. As I've said, it hasn't happened yet, and it probably will be scrapped because of the uneducated groups who will oppose it, ignoring the fact that many more animals will die as a result.
21 Nov 2017 8:27PM

Quote:That is not true, yet.
Not yet, true. There is also many differing viewpoints on whether hunting actually helps preserve a species, in fact I've read a lot of reports that it would actually undermine the efforts to stamp out illegal poaching.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.