Sandisk memory cards

Phil_D 13 81 Scotland
11 Feb 2007 1:40PM
Firstly, I hope this is in the right forum, and if it isn't, I apologise . . .

Anyway, I've just bought two new Sandisk UltraII 1GB SD cards from Mymemory.com. I already had one of these cards, and use an Advent RDR-All card reader.

My problem is that neither of the two new cards are recognised by my PC (running WIndows XP), although the original (supposidly identical) card mounts no problem at all. The light on the card reader comes on when the new cards are inserted, but nothing shows up in My Computer. By connecting the camera directly to the PC I am able to read both cards with no problems . . . its starting to drive me mad ! ! !

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Phil.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ejtumman 16 2.8k England
11 Feb 2007 1:46PM
I had that exact same problem.

Then, when I reinstalled the card reader on a new PC, it found more recent drivers and it worked fine after that. (My card reader is a C-media one).

Have you done a search to see of ther are updated drivers available for your reader?

Emma ;o)
Phil_D 13 81 Scotland
11 Feb 2007 1:47PM
Just searching now - although I seem to recall it sidn't come with any in the first place, but I'll see what on the net . . .
Phil_D 13 81 Scotland
11 Feb 2007 2:26PM
Nope, no further forward, can even find a website for Advent (supose that what you get for buying from PC World), but I'm pretty sure that it was supposed to be plug'n'play and didn't come with any drivers in the first place?

Phil.
Little Jo Plus
18 2.3k United Kingdom
11 Feb 2007 2:48PM
Card readers aren't expensive, try one from a reputable brand (Dazzle, Belkin,Sandisk, Hama to name but a few) - the better ones offer better read/write times.

If you want to pay over the odds for mediocre items - PC World is the place to go. They are always very expensive compared to other retailers.

Jo
11 Feb 2007 2:55PM
Had a similar problem with a card reader.
Do you have any other USB ports you could plug it into - mines works in one but not the other!

Failing that have you looked for updated drivers on the card readers website?
Phil_D 13 81 Scotland
11 Feb 2007 3:37PM

Quote:Card readers aren't expensive, try one from a reputable brand (Dazzle, Belkin,Sandisk, Hama to name but a few) - the better ones offer better read/write times.

Sound advice which I am going to have to follow, as this one clearly is not working. However, I would lay pretty good odds that the replacement doesn't solve this little dilema . . .

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.