sat nav buying advice

16 Mar 2015 7:03AM
I am not a driver so I will be looking for a sat nav system [birthday gift for relative] so which brand should I get

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

carper123 Plus
8 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2015 7:20AM
Hi, good time to buy sat nav, most have free updates, I personally would go for a Garmin, but Tom Tom are also good, Navman are the other well known make. A lot of the coach companies use the Garmin, as do the major shipping lines. Don't think you can go wrong with any oy the major brands.
Cheers,
Darryl.
Randle 13 118 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2015 7:27AM
I started with a Tomtom then went to Garmin as they offered free liftime map updates, I have been happy with both, but do find the map updates useful, also has the speed cameras highlighted.

Or you could look at a small 7 or 8" android tablet which you can add satnav software and would be more useful than sitting in the glovebox 95% of the time.
But depends on you budget!
collywobles 15 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2015 7:46AM
A vote for Tom Tom, had one since 2006 and find them great. My first Tom Tom came with Bluetooth connection so could use mobile phone thru it. Because of my good experience I now order an inbuilt Sat Nav every year when I order a new car.
Snapster 7 141 England
16 Mar 2015 9:37AM
Garmin with liftime map updates, including speed camera locations.
If they drive abroad, european maps, if not save a few pounds and just get UK maps.
sausage Plus
15 626 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2015 10:53AM
TomTom has better routing.
16 Mar 2015 10:56AM
garmin with free upgrades
thewilliam 11 6.1k
16 Mar 2015 11:01AM
Avoid any sat-nav that doesn't come with free lifetime updates because paid updates cost a fortune.

Garmin are very good but many of the names have strange pronunciations. She will say "War-wick" instead of "Warrick" and "Bye-sester" for "Bister". Strangely, London is always correctly pronounced.
puertouk 8 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2015 11:12AM
Tomtom have a free lifetime update for their maps, which include Europe. They give you up to date motoring advice, where there could be holdups through accidents or whatever else crops up and give you an alternative route. This also covers all the major countries in Europe. I have the Tomtom Go 5000, which is superb. My brother-in-law had a Garmin for a short time and went back to Tomtom, as he said it's far more superior.
16 Mar 2015 11:44AM
Used both Garmin and Tom Tom - prefer Tom Tom...now use T.T. Rider 2 for the motorbike and it bluetooths instructions to me helmet.

Close friend also ditched Garmin and gone for Tom Tom.

But both have their devotees..!
PRC 5 230 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2015 12:15PM
I strongly agree with the advice to look for free updates, otherwise keeping the device up to date is expensive.
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.8k 58 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2015 12:48PM
Slight preference for Tom Tom over Garmin; but only if it has free updates.
We just stopped updating our old SatNav as it was too expensive.
StuartAt 15 1.1k 8 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2015 12:51PM
Something that nobody has mentioned is the inclusion of real time traffic info. I personally have a TomTom Go (without traffic) which I useful for local navigation, but our company pool car has a more expensive TomTom with traffic updates, which is invaluable especially if doing any motorway miles.
steve_p 14 1.2k England
16 Mar 2015 2:35PM
If its the traffic info you are interested in, the current Tom Tom require you to connect to a smartphone to get the info. that entails connecting via bluetooth. You lose the connection after a time if you use bluetooth for hands free or music via your radio.
you also get charged for your data usage and it eats into the battery on the phone.
I would use my old tom tom if it wasn't for the fact that tomtom wantt 48 for a years live services. Very expensive.
Ive used Garmin in the past and found them very good- I just preferred the older Tom tom screen- the latest one is not very good- nor can you add Points of Interest
The Go 5000 is "always connected" but is a very expensive unit to buy!
StuartAt 15 1.1k 8 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2015 3:59PM
Couldn't tell you how much it costs to run the 'live services' as the company picks up the ticket - I just find it really useful, especially as it will reroute 'on the fly'.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.