sat nav buying advice

collywobles 15 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2015 4:34PM
Traffic info is now almost essential with Sat Nav, it could save you queuing on the M25 for hours.............as it has done for me on one occasion.......

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

psiman 16 573 Wales
16 Mar 2015 4:53PM
Another option if you have a smartphone is to use one of the dedicated satnav apps such as TomTom or Copilot (which I have) which cost about 40-60. They can integrate with your contact lists, access Wikipedia and Google for information. They don't need to have data access to work (unlike Google Maps etc.) but if you do use data access then they also access live traffic updates. They also provide options for free lifetime upgrades and of course if you upgrade your phone they upgrade with the phone, you only have to carry one piece of kit and if you have your phone with you, you also have your Sat Nav. You will need some way of mounting your smartphone on your dashboard or windscreen but this normally also doubles as a hands-free option and yes you can use your phones other functions whilst its using the Sat Nav app. I travel a fair bit and its a very useful options as I don't have to spend extra on a GPS with a hire car and learn a new system each time.
cuffit Plus
13 342 5 England
16 Mar 2015 10:30PM
As with everything these days, nothing is as easy as it perhaps ought to be! I have a Tom Tom and the updates are not expensive (but are over several years and it may be better to buy a newer machine) and gives you 4 map updates and 4 camera updates each year, but I do like the machine and the appearance of the maps. Garmin are well thought of and come with lifetime maps I understand - as do some Tom Tom - so either way I would have to fork out something.

I also have an in-car satnav which is superior to the Tom Tom in many ways but I do not update the maps as it is too expensive to buy the updated DVDs; also it is not easily viewed in the dash. However, it does have live traffic which I listen to and although it tells you there is a delay, it doesn't give any scale or likely length of delay so it is a lottery whether you trust the machine - or trust your luck.

I am sure Tom Tom or Garmin would provide a good product but best look at them alongside each other when choosing, along with any longer term costs.

Chris
collywobles 15 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
17 Mar 2015 9:26AM

Quote: it does have live traffic which I listen to and although it tells you there is a delay, it doesn't give any scale or likely length of delay so it is a lottery whether you trust the machine - or trust your luck.

Most take you on an alternative route to avoid the delay.
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
17 Mar 2015 12:38PM
Tom Tom with traffic gives you the option. It calculates how long it will take to get through the traffic delay and offer a rerouted alternative with a time scale. In fact it shows the expected delay long before you even get near it.
18 Mar 2015 5:39PM
thanks for replies got tom tom tom 6000
steve_p 14 1.2k England
13 Dec 2015 9:27PM
I know it is an old thread, but I would like to put my little bit in. Since Tom Tom changed their updating system on the computer with their newer models updating has been absolutely awful, taking hours and in the latest update attempt its corrupted the map so the unit is now useless. The customer services are not much help.
I did have a spare Garmin unit this required update on the map. took all of an hour and a half. i wont be replacing the tomtom!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.