Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

Save the Date / Wedding

Chris_L 5 5.0k United Kingdom
11 Aug 2016 2:35AM
A crop is probably too late, you can fill the frame a bit more with subject but you can't get back the hands or stuff to the right and it won't look as good as if you'd framed it differently in the first place. Read some tips for more interesting compositions, rule of thirds etc.. Just because your viewfinder may have a cross at the centre doesn't mean you should place your subject there

250184_1470879180.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

11 Aug 2016 9:57AM
u see, i dont like this crop! to me it is nit as string as with central framing! as said before, it is a matter of style/vision.

a tight crop as above, looses the sense of isolation which (I think) is achieved with mh previous composition.

i am aware of the rule of thirds as well as the others. these can be actually seen in other photos in my pf.

indeed too late for the hands.it does happen

thanks
11 Aug 2016 10:21AM
Yeah you've changed my mind. I thought it was lazy composition rather than deliberate aiming at the nose.

Love the little touches like the pole growing out of the head. You have no more to learn you have the equipment and the eye to preserve people's most important memories and I'm sure they'll happily pay you to do so Grin
11 Aug 2016 12:03PM
lol. u right on the pole!! hahaa
nice one. love your sarcasm. i got to learn of course. we all do.
11 Aug 2016 1:15PM
I confess that I was one of those guys who had all the gear, 1 series Canon body, super duper speedlight, L series lenses etc. I could shoot interiors and compose a landscape but my people shots were so safe and boring. I'd ensure I got them in the frame and in focus by aiming, unconsciously, at their nose. For groups, I'd aim at the middle one.

At some point in 2005 I accidentally composed two photos (see below) where the subject was well off-centre. Where there wasn't a load of fresh air above them and I really liked that more.

I still might put people centrally but I think much more before I shoot. I look through friends' photos on Facebook, imagine the cross, and there's the nose. Legs cut off, nothing above their heads etc. It's a shame because you can compose better with any camera.

250184_1470917631.jpg

250184_1470917639.jpg

11 Aug 2016 2:53PM
nice one mate. thanks!
4 Oct 2016 12:52PM
+Chris_L, just wanted to say thank you for real!

I had my photoshoot and I did follow some of your advice. The client was absolutely pleased and emotional when they saw the end-result.

thank you again.
thewilliam 10 6.1k
4 Oct 2016 1:07PM
The client's happiness is what really matters! What anybody else thinks is simply irrelevant, especially self-appointed "experts".
SteveCharles 16 2.3k 18 England
4 Oct 2016 1:18PM
A save the date photoshoot sounds like something invented by a wedding photographer to me..

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.