Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

sb600

DannoM 12 58 England
22 Feb 2010 11:34AM
i have just bought a sb600 to go with my d90. what mode shall i use it in. I have always shot in aperture priority. When i used the flash in this mode the shutter speed was a constant 1/60 whatever the aperture. Im guessing im doing something wrong?
digicammad 17 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2010 12:18PM
No that's exactly what is supposed to happen. When using flash, your camera will automatically select the flash sync speed, which is 1/60. If you want something different you can put it into manual.

Any reason 1/60 is not suitable?

Iain
Picture_Newport 12 659 19 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2010 12:22PM
The sync speed of your flash is 1/60th sec, so you will need to alter the aperture to get a correct exposure if shooting in AP (shooting with flash in TTL)

If the aperture is crucial, turn the flash to Manual and lower the power until you get the desired aperture.

HTH's

Paul
DannoM 12 58 England
22 Feb 2010 12:28PM
thanks, 1/60 was fine for what i was doing. Just trying to get to grips with it atm. Thanks again guys
timbo 18 596 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2010 1:49PM
you can set the camera to use a slower (or faster) shutter speed when the flash is attached. It is in the flash menu. I have mine set to 1/30. In aperture priority and program you just have to leave it to get on with things. i do find using manual settings indoors with the flash set to ttl works fine and any fine tuning of the flash can be done easily.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.