Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Scaling print sizes

16 Feb 2002 4:55PM
I want to scan a print into photoshop and print at double the original print size on an inkjet printer at 240dpi. I find the variety of options on scanner software/photoshop confusing.

The scanner software has settings for input size, output size, and resolution. This seems to give two alternatives approaches - set resolution to 240dpi and output size to 200% or set resolution to 480dpi and output size to 100%

Is there any difference between these two approaches? Also should I take the unsharp mask option off in the scanner software?
smdavies99 19 1
17 Feb 2002 1:06PM
If you scan the photo at 100% and at the highest resolution you can then you will have a good chance of success.
When you have go the image into Photoshop use the Image->Image Size option to scale your image.
You should set the two option boxes ticked at the bottom of the screen and make a note of the file size before changing the image size and resolution. If the file size after changing is less than what you stared with then you will be discarding info which is OK.
Most pictures will NOT show much difference when printed once you go beyone 200dpi in the output. If you go to really high resolutions you could be wasting ink.
Don't sharpen in the SCANNER software. Only use the unsharp mask after you have scanned and changed the image size. For best results when using unsharp mask, convert to LAB and only sharpen the Lightness channel. Convert back to RGB before printing.
18 Feb 2002 1:54PM
Thanks. Are you suggesting scanning at a higher resolution than would be necessary to scale the image? If so, what is the advantage to scanning at a higher resolution then discarding some of the data? My concern (which prompted me to place the question) was that I could not see how the scanner software could yield a 200% target size and at the same time keep the resolution fixed (interpolation?).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.