Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

scam amazon order cancellation email

Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
22 May 2012 8:46AM
Today, I received an email from order-update@amazon.com telling me my order has been cancelled.
I know full well it was not true as I haven't ordered anything. But many might fell for it because of the email address it comes from.
A quick search gives me this

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KingBee Plus
14 540 2 Scotland
22 May 2012 8:58AM
I have received several of these and have reported the issue to Amazon, who are well aware of these and have advised that such messages are most definitely not legit. Amazon asked that I forward a sample message to them, and I have done this: however, be aware that the act of forwarding actually opens the spoof email but as long as you do not open any attachment, you'll be fine.
puertouk 8 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
22 May 2012 10:07AM
These people who send viruses should be heavily find and put in prison. Some idiot wiped my hard disk a few years ago with a virus, which cost me over 300 to rectify the problem. To me, that is theft, as they have stolen my hard drive.
Stephen
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
22 May 2012 10:16AM

Quote:.To me, that is theft, as they have stolen my hard drive.

Most viruses these days are written and used by organised crime syndicates in eastern Europe. They are more likely to steal your bank details than trash your hard drive.
Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
22 May 2012 10:23AM

Quote:These people who send viruses should be heavily find and put in prison

Quote:Most viruses these days are written and used by organised crime syndicates in eastern Europe

So good luck with trying to get these people brought to justice!

Maybe the EU will help out? Hmm............. no, they have bigger worries trying to keep their ridiculous artificial currency going. Lol! Wink
thewilliam 12 6.1k
22 May 2012 10:27AM
Some of these scam emails look completely genuine and the scammers have taken a lot of trouble to get the details right.

Wise folks NEVER follow a link in any email. It doesn't take much longer to type the paypal or amazon addresses at the top of your home screen.

If you have followed a link, put some randon characters in place of your password and check that it doesn't enable to to enter the site.
jondf 14 2.8k
22 May 2012 10:41AM

Quote:Maybe the EU will help out? Hmm............. no, they have bigger worries trying to keep their ridiculous artificial currency going. Lol!

Suspect you'll enjoy this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gm9q8uabTs
22 May 2012 10:48AM

Quote:Suspect you'll enjoy this -

Thanks - I did. I do love it when Farage goes into rant mode. Grin I see it was uploaded in 2010.... even more relevant, if anything, now.
Pat_Stones 8 129 United Kingdom
22 May 2012 10:57AM

Quote:Today, I received an email from order-update@amazon.com telling me my order has been cancelled

It's important to realise that the email didn't come from that address. Nobody has hacked Amazon's email system. You infact received an email purporting to come from that address. It's called 'spoofing'.
lobsterboy Plus
22 May 2012 11:43AM

Quote:no, they have bigger worries trying to keep their ridiculous artificial currency going. Lol!

I'm just trying to think of a non-artificial currency - gold? diamonds?
22 May 2012 11:45AM
flumps
22 May 2012 11:59AM

Quote:I'm just trying to think of a non-artificial currency

I would say anything based on a country's own economy.

We left the gold standard 80 years ago, and I don't see us going back to it! Wink
lobsterboy Plus
22 May 2012 12:10PM

Quote:I would say anything based on a country's own economy.

So the US Dollar is an artificial currency for all those countries that use it (or peg their currency value to it) ?
22 May 2012 12:17PM

Quote:So the US Dollar is an artificial currency for all those countries that use it (or peg their currency value to it) ?

For those who peg their currency value, I guess it is... sort of. Although the US would not, I am guessing, come down on them like a ton of bricks if they were to unpeg! Wink

Merely using another country's currency is a somewhat different matter, in my view.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.