Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Scamming!!!!!

rikewoo 18 347 1 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2006 10:46AM
I posted an ad on the site for my Lumix FZ20 plus extras. Got an email from someone who had joined that day calling him/herself, Saleko Segun, email: segun4ever@email.com, expressing that he must have it.

Next email came from a Susan Thomas, email addie: su_mas_11970@yahoo.com saying she wanted to buy the camera for her son. Asked what was reason for selling, condition etc. Agreed that all was fine and could we go ahead with the sale. Next email said the cheque would be drawn on a UK bank and her business partner would be in touch with me. Asked her where she lived as didnt think from the use of the English she was in the UK., told me the camera would be going to New Zealand. From the poor English and the fact that it was going to NZ made me a little suspicious. She told me her business partners name was Larry. One of the traces(see below) identified a person called Larry Garry.

Next email thanked me for being a truthful honest person and god would bless me? Also told me that the shipping company would be in touch once the cheque had cleared to collect the camera in her name, and could I deduct the postage from the total and give it to them.

Several emails but still no cheque. Other odd thing was she never answered any of the questions I put just side stepped them.

Next an email from the shipping company OCL Transporters, saying that they had been contacted by Mr. Susan Thomas (yes, Mr.) about collecting the camera and would be happy to fly down to my location to collect. Also said they would be expecting the other half of the shipping fee from me and I should ask for a sizeable deposit with the cheque.

Googled and used BBC home to run a trace on them. Found out they are scammers, and are into all sorts of areas. Cars, live animals, metal sheds and various other items. Found they appear to have offices in quite a few companies round the world.

What was apparent from all the 3 different email addresses was the poor use of English, as though it was someone speaking broken English; was that they all used the same phraseology. Sent an email telling her I was not going to be scammed. Obviously I cancelled the saleSmile

rikewoo
SusieH 16 67 England
17 Jun 2006 10:55AM
Hi Rikewoo, thanks for warning the rest of us and I hope you find a genuine buyer soon! But how do you use BBC home to run a trace on people?

Sue
17 Jun 2006 11:58AM
Hi Sue,

I have BBC.co.uk as my homepage. In the search box just type what you want to find, tick "the web" and press search. In fact this one brought up more searches than google, strangely enough. But they were more informative on OCL Transporters.

rikewoo
20 Jun 2006 7:56PM
Had another one to try scamming. johnwhatty72@uk2.net, another one who joined on the day I put my advert on the site.

Just what are these people trying. Scamming on small items like cameras. This one informed me someone owed him 3,000.00 and would be sending me the cheque, I was to deduct the 260.00 and send the rest 2,740.00 to his shippers, who are they? once again OCL Transporters.

He also offered me a compensation of 50.00 to remove the advert from the site.

I just cannot believe the mentality of these people. Their use of English is atrocious and would put a five year old to shame.
rikewoo1

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.