Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Scamming on EPZ!!!

rikewoo 18 347 1 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2006 4:18PM
PLEASE, be aware that scammers are targetting the classifieds on EPZ.

About a month ago I placed an ad for my FZ20. Three of the enquiries came from scammers. The third today.

Here is a copy of the third enquiry, they all use virtually the same text with one or two words different:

I am intrested in buying your (),I would like to know it''s present condition and let me know the final cost for the item with the picture.I do hope to read from you really soon. Owen Cole. owencolelink@yahoo.fr 07031929974.

I replied to this one asking if he was in the UK and would he be using his own shippers or would I be sending it by Royal Mail, here is his answer:

I STAY IN THE UK,BUT I WILL HAVE MY SHIPPING COMAPNY COME DOWN FOR THE PICK UP,LET ME KNOW THE FINAL COST.

This one couldn't even put in what the item was just closed brackets. All three of them joined the site on the day they placed the enquiry. Going back to trace them later the first two were not anywhere on the site.

I have posted this on the off topic section but think it was in the wrong place. Here are copies of my first two posts on the subject.

posted an ad on the site for my Lumix FZ20 plus extras. Got an email from someone who had joined that day calling him/herself, Saleko Segun, email: segun4ever@email.com, expressing that he must have it.

Next email came from a Susan Thomas, email addie: su_mas_11970@yahoo.com saying she wanted to buy the camera for her son. Asked what was reason for selling, condition etc. Agreed that all was fine and could we go ahead with the sale. Next email said the cheque would be drawn on a UK bank and her business partner would be in touch with me. Asked her where she lived as didn't think from the use of the English she was in the UK., told me the camera would be going to New Zealand. From the poor English and the fact that it was going to NZ made me a little suspicious. She told me her business partners name was Larry. One of the traces(see below) identified a person called Larry Garry.

Next email thanked me for being a truthful honest person and god would bless me? Also told me that the shipping company would be in touch once the cheque had cleared to collect the camera in her name, and could I deduct the postage from the total and give it to them.

Several emails but still no cheque. Other odd thing was she never answered any of the questions I put just side stepped them.

Next an email from the shipping company OCL Transporters, saying that they had been contacted by Mr. Susan Thomas (yes, Mr.) about collecting the camera and would be happy to fly down to my location to collect. Also said they would be expecting the other half of the shipping fee from me and I should ask for a sizeable deposit with the cheque.

Googled and used BBC home to run a trace on them. Found out they are scammers, and are into all sorts of areas. Cars, live animals, metal sheds and various other items. Found they appear to have offices in quite a few companies round the world.

What was apparent from all the 3 different email addresses was the poor use of English, as though it was someone speaking broken English; was that they all used the same phraseology. Sent an email telling her I was not going to be scammed. Obviously I cancelled the saleSmile

Had another one to try scamming. johnwhatty72@uk2.net, another one who joined on the day I put my advert on the site.

Just what are these people trying. Scamming on small items like cameras. This one informed me someone owed him 3,000.00 and would be sending me the cheque, I was to deduct the 260.00 and send the rest 2,740.00 to his shippers, who are they? once again OCL Transporters.

He also offered me a compensation of 50.00 to remove the advert from the site.

I just cannot believe the mentality of these people. Their use of English is atrocious and would put a five year old to shame.
rikewoo1
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
24 Jun 2006 4:21PM
Already known friend...
Miles Herbert 18 1.9k 4 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2006 4:26PM
awwww shucks... I just love in when they forget to fill in the blank spaces on the basic letter they all use... I too got a letter from Mr Cole...
rikewoo 18 347 1 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2006 4:27PM
Does anyone know of a link to which these 419 Nigerian scams can be sent to.

I know the FBI and the UK fraud squad deal with them but not sure where to send them.

"They", say take them to your local police station, have done so in the past but they are not interested.

rikewoo
rodp 16 1.2k England
24 Jun 2006 4:32PM
conrad 17 10.9k 116
24 Jun 2006 4:51PM
Had mail from "Owen Cole" too. Smelling a possible scam, or a timewaster, I mailed him to say that before I answered his question I wanted him to confirm his e-mail address and specify in which item he was interested, since he didn't even specify that in his mail (brackets with nothing in between don't do it for me...). Haven't heard since.

Conrad
u08mcb 17 5.8k
24 Jun 2006 4:56PM
I actually got one of these through the post which was refreshing.
lloydee 17 247
24 Jun 2006 8:12PM
I've had owen cole too through email,

lloyd
peterkin 17 681 England
24 Jun 2006 10:47PM
Here's what the Met advise one to do... The Met
Photogeek 16 605 6 Wales
25 Jun 2006 9:27AM

Quote:Here's what the Met advise one to do... The Met

Sorry but this from that link really made me laugh

Quote:If you are in the United Kingdom and are the victim or potential victim of such a fraud contact the US Secret Service, US Embassy, London on 020 7408 8091.

I think that takes freedom of information just a little bit too far Smile
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
25 Jun 2006 9:34AM

Quote:contact the US Secret Service, US Embassy

US = useless. Need I say anymore?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.