ZEISS Lens Discounts - Save Up To 220!

Scottish midges - when and where

conrad 14 10.9k 116
10 Jun 2012 5:53PM
Well, Bri, I could understand that question if you said 'in the summer', but 'ever' is taking it a bit far, because midges are a seasonal plague only...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
10 Jun 2012 5:59PM
Ok, so get bitten or freeze to death...

Wink
Ewanneil 9 1.1k 2 Scotland
10 Jun 2012 6:05PM
To be honest I feel we have a lot to thank the midges for. They do a grand job of preserving the wonderful and unspoilt landscape by making it almost impossible for humans to co-exist with them. Were it not for the midges (along with the rain and the cold) then the Highlands would be tourism-central.

Please Bri, don't miss out on a wonderful experience. Just come prepared and you'll have a great time.

Ewan
adrian_w Plus
11 3.8k 4 England
10 Jun 2012 6:10PM

Quote:I'm beginning to wonder why anyone ever goes to Scotland Smile

I've been asking myself that question for the last 30 years!
Carabosse 16 41.2k 270 England
10 Jun 2012 6:14PM
I've been to Scotland a few times, and never encountered a midge, but August will be the first time in the NW and the Isles. Sounds like I'll have to stock up on Smidge and Avon SSS.......... can you apply both at the same time? Grin
10 Aug 2015 8:05PM
Great thread, but would like to add two points particularly:
1. It is true they are not attracted to all equally. Different people have different smells. Seems to be genetic not your body lotion, food eaten or whatever.
2. No-one has mentioned that midges have watches.
Many, many years ago we were camping at Kielder and we noticed that at around 3.55pm each day the campsite suddenly became quiet and people disappeared inside their tents. (No, not for Wink ! Keep it clean! Smile) We soon discovered why - the midges descended at 4pm! This exact time may not apply in all locations, but you may well find tea-time / early evening generally is popular with them.

Please still go to NW Scotland but try before mid-May - you can be lucky with the weather and it is beautiful.... Remember midges are not everywhere even in the NW of Scotland - their favoured environments have been described. And see above re swarm times.

If you can, watch for exceptional weather conditions, like in 2012 when the jet stream came over at more southerly levels than usual and drowned out North-Middle England, but as a result the normally wet NW Scotland had a very long spell of dry weather. A Skye farmer told us the drought was so bad that he'd had to take water in buckets out to the sheep for the first time in his long farming career. We were visiting Skye and the Outer Hebrides in mid-July that year and did not see (or more importantly, feel) one midge! Honest! Not one! Clearly the midges were not performing as usual in the dry weather, to our benefit.

PS:
Not sure about the light clothing advice - the cream roof inner of our trailer tent turned black under one attack in Fort William. We fled to the cinema!

I too take antihistamine starting a few days before I go as I can react badly to the bites (some of us react worse than others). I have found this helps a lot, but is advice for people who have a bad reaction.
(Though the tickly irritation is still there of course in a swarm particularly).
davidcollins 13 108 1 Scotland
10 Aug 2015 8:42PM
a thick skinGrin or a bottle of smidge which is really good
28 Jun 2019 9:40AM
This is weird - seven years after I posted this, I get a notification saying someone has commented, but I can't see a comment. However, it comes just as we are once again discussing a holiday up to Scotland....
saltireblue Plus
9 9.5k 35 Norway
28 Jun 2019 10:00AM

Quote:This is weird - seven years after I posted this, I get a notification saying someone has commented, but I can't see a comment. However, it comes just as we are once again discussing a holiday up to Scotland....

A post from a spammer, Bri - both removed, though after you got the notification...
28 Jun 2019 10:02AM

Quote:A post from a spammer, Bri - both removed, though after you got the notification...

Thanks for the clarification Malc. At least it brought me back to this thread that I forgot I started Smile
peterjones 17 4.8k 1 United Kingdom
29 Jun 2019 10:45AM
I once got chomped alive by midges on the shores of Buttermere wishing that the Scots would keep their midges to themselves; not coincidentally it was a very calm evening which midges take delight in; they and many other insects such as mosquitoes cannot handle wind; another pest are horseflies again which disappear in wind; just avoid calm weather to avoid Scottish midges.
Railcam 12 746 2 Scotland
29 Jun 2019 10:58AM
I moved to East Lothian in 1985 and I have never had a problem with midges. The other evening I was in the Upper Clyde Valley. It was calm, clear, sunny and warm. Amazingly no midges. Possibly too hot for them. They tend to be very localised in Scotland, worse towards the west coast.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.