Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Screen resolution on laptops

Kate11171 15 36 United Kingdom
21 Sep 2009 6:59PM
Hi
I know these questions have been asked before so really sorry but I need more input. I have seen a hp laptop that I like. I was looking for a 17" but couldn't find the right spec so found a great one but it only has a 15.?" screen. Not too big a problem as I will also be getting a high res monitor to link it up to when needed. I use CS4 (rather badly) and the laptop has 4 gb ram, good processor and 1gb dedicated graphics but the resolution which is standard for this screen size is 1366x768. How bad will the graphics be on this. I know there are many many more high resolution screens and there is no comparison, but for my budget is it worth it for this sort of resolution?
I would be grateful for your input.
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
21 Sep 2009 7:45PM
Its not only resolution that can be an issue with laptop screens.

Quality of the actual panel used to make it, Can have an effect on colour accuracy.

If the laptop is to be your only means of image work, And you desire a decent degree of colour accuracy, You really need a laptop, That has a high quality screen.....Or at least a laptop with something better than the standard screen.

Two ways to do this, First is obviously buy a laptop, That has a better than average screen fitted, But these tend to be more expensive for that reason.

Or buy a cheaper laptop, With a fairly good spec (( Like the HP you mention )) Then add an external monitor for your photowork...Smile

Either way is not gonna be real cheap, But with the external monitor, You can get something more useful size wise, Perhaps at a later date, When your budget allows....Smile
Kate11171 15 36 United Kingdom
21 Sep 2009 8:24PM
Hi, thanks for that. I am buying a desktop and a laptop. The laptop for taking with me when I go away and a pc that I intend to buy a good high resolution monitor for. Most of the time I will be using it hooked up to the monitor but I don't want to be working on rubbish when I go away. One of the problems is when I look in the shops you can only view the things that they have put on the laptop so I still can't tell the quality. What do you think?
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
21 Sep 2009 9:35PM

Quote: What do you think

Yeah! Know what you mean...Smile Even when you ask the question, You get that Uuuggg look, Gets even more interesting when you start to ask about the specifications of the screen on a laptop..Sad

Here they usually glaze over, Now throw a question regarding " Gamut " & colour management, And you get a bowel movement...Wink

Seriously though, It might be worth your time checking out the " Higher Spec " DELL Studio laptops, Or try finding the specs on the HP machine that you have seen.

Either way you can get reasonable results, If you calibrate the laptop screen, With something like a " Spyder 3 " monitor calibration device, Theres a new model out, I believe its called Spyder3 express, Apparently its easy to work with, And not wildly expensive.

Even on a fairly basic screen, It can make a big difference....Smile
JohnParminter 14 1.3k 14 England
22 Sep 2009 7:22AM
Kate, a word of warning about the standard glossy and reflective screens that seem to be sold with all laptops these days, they are a nightmare to actually edit any images on. They are very bright and shiny but even when calibrated they are very hard to do any meaningful editing on because of the harsh reflections and very limited angle of viewing. It is very hard to actually buy a laptop with a matte and non-reflective screen these days, I've just spent 4 months trying to source one after I mistakenly bought a Dell Studio 17 with a glossy and highly spec'd screen. In the end Dell and their upgrade partners couldn't source me one but I eventually got one from a web shop but it isn't very good quality to be honest but at least i can see my images now and it calibrates ok.

JP
Krakman 15 3.6k Scotland
22 Sep 2009 3:05PM
Personally I would recommend a glossy screen over a matte/non-reflective one. The glossy screen allows you to see into the shadows in a way that a matte screen doesn't. Provided you work at an angle where there are no strong reflections, it is superior. And if you're working with strong reflections you'll have problems no matter what kind of screen you are using.
theorderingone 17 2.4k
22 Sep 2009 6:13PM
On a side note, whatever you choose, I find one of these invaluable if you're going to be editing out and about.

It folds away on the back of the screen and does a pretty good job of shielding it against the sun. Occasionally I've had to sling my coat over it when editing in a white tent on a sunny day, but not very often.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.