ADVERTISEMENT
Save 10% On Your First Order With WhiteWall. Use Code: EPWW10

Sebastaio Salgado Exhibition

lemmy 15 2.9k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2013 4:13PM
I saw in the Daily Telegraph that Sebastaio Delgado's Genesis exhibition was finishing at the Natural History Museum on September 8th, so I went this morning. I'd been meaning to go for weeks but then it slipped my mind.

I'm so glad I went. I think that Salgado is the best photographer working today by a long chalk but this show confirms it for me. Imagery of the highest artistic, technical and just sheer photographic merit. I rarely feel that photographs are art (rather that some photographers are artists) but this work stands with any visual expression of any sort. Several of the images stand alone as the best pictures I have ever seen. And especially pleasing, not one mention of a camera or technique, any more than a Rothko show would demean the painter by listing his paint brushes, thus showing respect to photographic imagery as a form of its own.

Just posting to say, if you can get to see it, you won't regret it.
mdiniz 18 2 Brazil
3 Sep 2013 4:53PM
Sebastiao Salgado
SlowSong Plus
14 10.5k 30 England
3 Sep 2013 4:57PM
I was there this morning too. For the second time. Smile
Fantastic. One of the best exhibitions I've ever seen.
Gaucho 20 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2013 5:23PM
I'm with you regarding Salgado's work, David. I'm rather upset that I am just going to miss this exhibition as I will be in London for a couple of weeks from the 17th. Hopefully they will bring it down to the south of France at some stage. I am tempted to buy his book but I have heard criticisms regarding the layout. Seems odd that they have opted for portrait orientation when the majority of his images are landscape.
SlowSong Plus
14 10.5k 30 England
3 Sep 2013 6:17PM
The book is nice to have Gaucho, but I was quite disappointed with the layout as many of the images were spread over two pages with the spine down the middle. The book obviously doesn't lay flat so it does spoil the pictures. If you can get one for about £20 I'd get it, but not for £40. A lot of quality was lost in the print too.
3 Sep 2013 6:34PM

Quote: Hopefully they will bring it down to the south of France at some stage.

There's a good chance, the French have a great appreciation of photography and photographers, don't they?

I'm going to be in the south of France myself next week for a couple of months, near Limoux/ Mirepoix. I believe there are some important photographic shows on in Perpignan this month.

I saw the book and was tempted - my wife put me off it - so reading people's thoughts on it, it sounds like she did me a small favour.

Quote:Sebastiao Salgado

I corrected my typo (fat fingers, me) and then didn't update the preview before 'adding'. My fault.

Quote:I was there this morning too. For the second time.
Fantastic. One of the best exhibitions I've ever seen.

Our paths crossed, then. One of the best I've seen too and my wife, who isn't a photographer but does like pictures thoroughly agreed.
3 Sep 2013 7:33PM

Quote:I believe there are some important photographic shows on in Perpignan this month.

That would be Visa pour l'Image, probably the best exhibition of photojournalism anywhere. It's on now until the 15th and they are having a McCullin retrospective this year which is a first I believe. It's a cracking way to see Perpignan as well as it is spread all over town in different buildings so everyone is walking around from one to the other. This will give you an idea.

I hope to get there but we have the usual visitors at this time of year and may not make it.
3 Sep 2013 8:04PM
3 Sep 2013 8:31PM
I'll try to see that. I like Perpignan anyway, so it's a pleasure to go there.

Re the depressing reading, about ten years ago I gave a lecture in the university at Nottingham on the changes that the internet and digital photography might make to photographers to 80 or so photography students. During the talk I mentioned Cartier-Bresson.....not one had heard of him.
3 Sep 2013 10:12PM
Students of photography? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. By the way, did you foresee the changes?

Anyway, I'm sure you will enjoy it. I had no idea that Leroy chooses the portfolios all by himself. Very strange, but I guess as he started the whole thing...
3 Sep 2013 11:03PM

Quote:By the way, did you foresee the changes?

Yes and no. I was talking about the effect on the media which, from a photographer's technical point of view would not change very much. But I knew it would radically change the modus operandi of agencies and newspapers and photographers would have to embrace lots of new technology.

My drift was that those who tried to fight the new technology would fall by the wayside because digital was cheaper, cutting costs on materials, transmission, sales, eliminating darkrooms and negative libraries, so was driven by economics and could not be fought.

What I didn't foresee was the biggest change which was that it would boost the income of the top layer of the business whose skills would carry them through the changes, while attracting many semi- competants who would be made competant by the skills of the camera prgrammers. And in the process eliminate the middle layer of photographers. In other words, you either make a bundle or scrape a living.

That seems to have been the effect in other spheres too. It doesn't affect people of the calibre of Salgado at all really. I don't know what cameras or anything he uses but provided he has something, anything, that will enable technically decent results at largish print sizes, he can do what he does since his stock in trade is really sensitivity and an eye for drama and form. Not unlike Cartier- Bresson...
4 Sep 2013 6:57AM
He only very recently changed over to digital. Here's a quote from him -

"I started out working with negatives with a medium-format Pentax camera. About halfway through, in 2008, I switched to a digital camera because I was in constant fear that security machines at airports could destroy my films. A friend assured me that digital images were now of good quality. When I went digital, I switched to a Canon camera and I found the quality was much better than the medium-format negatives. In the final prints, you can see no difference because I have worked with one film, Kodak Tri-X film, all my life, and we were able to reproduce the exact grain of that film in the digital image. We also created a way of working that was no different from how I had always worked. I recorded everything on digital cards just as I did with film and, from these images on the cards, contact sheets and prints were made for me. Those I selected were then made into negatives. So, except for minor differences, the process was exactly the same."

So he hasn't quite embraced modern technology Smile
Sooty_1 12 1.5k 221 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2013 5:36PM
I got mine from amazon, £27, free delivery. Had a glance through one in town, and it looks fantastic. Am off to the exhibition this weekend.

Nick
4 Sep 2013 6:28PM

Quote:Am off to the exhibition this weekend

Enjoy Grin
5 Sep 2013 6:38PM
Well worth the price of admission. Brilliant photographs
Jenni

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.