Second hand camera?

joekinerman 13 36 United Kingdom
30 May 2013 10:15AM
I'm hoping to buy a new camera next week and was wondering what everyone's opinion was on buying second hand I.e. eBay/Gumtree?
Also studio lighting second hand?
Good idea or bad?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
30 May 2013 10:18AM
...check out EPZ classified...1st every time.
conrad 15 10.9k 116
30 May 2013 10:27AM

Quote:...check out EPZ classified...1st every time.

Excellent suggestion.

Also - I've bought a lot of stuff, like lenses and things, on eBay and other sites, and even a few camera bodies, but nowadays I limit myself to the ones I can go and have a look at in person, the ones I can test before buying them. It's just safer, and can save you frustrating discussions with sellers, using the eBay Resolution Centre with all the delays involved, etc.
Epz classified or London camera exchange is what I use! All but one lens in my kit is second hand and I've had no problems!
30 May 2013 12:35PM
I'd second London Camera Exchange - not the cheapest but reliable and they give a warranty. I've also bought second hand kit from Peter Walnes (who also buys at very fair prices), Ffordes and Mifsuds. I'm personally very wary of eBay these days for larger items.
Coventryphotog Junior Member 6 149 United Kingdom
30 May 2013 1:02PM
Another + for LCE. 6 months warranty is worth a few extra

Nb - edited for typo
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
30 May 2013 1:19PM
Adding to what has been said, reliable suppliers who usually accept credit cards and usually give a six month warranty have been mentioned.
Buying secondhand this way takes the risk out of this type of transaction.
User_Removed 11 718 1 United Kingdom
30 May 2013 5:53PM
I've noticed on eBay used items sometimes sell for nearly the same as dealers are asking, so it makes sense to buy from a reputable dealer offering a warranty if it's only a little more in cost. With Gumtree it's just like a classified ad so you can choose to buy locally and inspect the item but you won't get a warranty if it's a private sale. I have often used and recommend Ffordes
30 May 2013 6:28PM
Also check out MPB Photographic, they advertise on EPZ, I have purchased from them several times, excellent service.
David
thewilliam 11 6.1k
30 May 2013 8:06PM
At Ffordes, they're very strict when it comes to grading. I've bought a few items from them and, every time, I've been pleasantly surprised by the condition.
martinl 15 269 2 United Kingdom
30 May 2013 10:58PM
Another vote for MPB Photographic here. Bought and sold from them recently, and they provided a first class service. Excellent.
Smile
Nigeve1 6 1.4k 101 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2013 11:14AM
I have bought used equipment from Wex and have found their condition descriptions very accurate.
ijlufkin 6 3
19 Aug 2013 9:08AM
Beware of Gumtree, here in Aus the latest scam is that someone rings you up telling you they have what you are looking for, you send the money and that's the last you here of anything!!
rhol2 8 369 1 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2013 11:34AM
All excellent suggestions for UK dealers above, to which I would add, for Nikkon only, Grays of Westminster.
They too have very strict grading and offer a 12-month guarantee on most items.
KellyElle 6 1 Canada
24 Aug 2013 6:21PM
I got my camera second hand... not ebay but another person... that kind of the same as its just a random person. I love the camera and buying second hand does help with cost. I do, however, plan on buying lighting off of ebay and my suggestion would be to make sure it has the ability to send back and get refund if you're not satisfied as so many scams are going on all the time.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.