Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Secret to good sunsets - filters?

Eckyboy 5 51 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2017 9:31PM
Been experimenting with stacking filters. Soon going to buy a reverse grad. What is the secret? Photoshop, HDR or filters?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

12 Nov 2017 9:32PM
210217_1510522333.jpg

colin beeley Plus
15 1.2k 10 England
13 Nov 2017 9:30AM
you don't need filters just meter from a bright part of the sky. that's all i ever do .see page five & eight of my portfolio , taken by just taking the reading from the bright part of sky. use the star button on the back of your camera .
Dave_Canon 11 1.3k United Kingdom
13 Nov 2017 9:35AM
In the past I have used HDR simply because the dynamic range at sunrise and sunset exceeded the camera DR. Of, course if you want to make the colours more dramatic there is much you can do in the editing software. I will sometimes tweak to WB a little to warm the image.

Dave
RoyBoy 13 273 2 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2017 2:14PM
The last two posts go some way to explaining the benefits of using filters.
If you meter for the sky you run the risk of having blocked out shadows, which if you try and lift in post production will lead to increased noise.
Using HDR will effect the whole look of the image.
The best option in such circumstances, assuming you don’t have filters but are on a tripod, is to bracket and combine various elements in post.
Having said all that, there really is no substitute for getting it right at the taking stage.
Yes I know that many discount filters and are happy to shoot in RAW and using gradient masks in LRoom/PShop ..... I do this a lot myself. But it is not the same.
I am reminded of a time when I was on Rannock Moor. The van was parked and I wandered down to a scene having just my camera and tripod in hand. I composed the shot, which had a stream in the foreground leading up through the image with mountains in the background. I composed the shot and took the picture using the best exposure balance I could. I knew elements of the sky were on the bight side but also knew I could deal with this in post, especially as I only ever shoot in RAW. I then remember thinking “NO .... I like this picture so let’s do it right” and walked back to the van to get my Lee filters. Having placed the grads on the lens and taken another shot what surprised me was how the look of the complete image had changed so much for the better, not just in the sky but across the whole scene. There was better fidelity and richness in colours and tones. I do not know why this should be but the difference between the two captures was profound. I had taught myself something.
AlexE 63 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2017 12:15PM
One warning about cheap filters. I got a cheap £40 10 stop filter. Within a year it had developed a speckled pattern. I don't know whether I just had a bad experience of if this is the norm. If this seems irrelevant please ignore. It's just that this is the first chance that I have got to vent...
colin beeley Plus
15 1.2k 10 England
15 Nov 2017 7:12AM

Quote:One warning about cheap filters. I got a cheap £40 10 stop filter. Within a year it had developed a speckled pattern. I don't know whether I just had a bad experience of if this is the norm. If this seems irrelevant please ignore. It's just that this is the first chance that I have got to vent...

well you should tell what make it was if you want to help .
15 Nov 2017 10:00AM
I had a very expensive B+W polariser filter that delaminated and I contacted the makers numerous times but they just ignored me.

Expensive filters can be crap quality too!
StrayCat Plus
13 18.9k 3 Canada
15 Nov 2017 6:00PM
I have what is claimed to be one of the first B+W 52mm polarisers, and it gives characteristics I've never seen with another filter, I like it, but seldom use it. I'll let it go for a huge sum.Wink
AlexE 63 United Kingdom
15 Nov 2017 6:03PM
Hoya is the brand that degraded but I don't know of anyone who had the same problem. (I don't know anyone else with Hoya filters...)
Alex
15 Nov 2017 6:21PM
Really needing a reverse grad filter for these sunsets. I have seen then for £40 on ebay that will for my cokin A system
lobsterboy 14 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2017 8:00AM
Take a look at hi-tech http://www.formatt-hitech.com/kits/nd-reverse-grad-resin-filter-kit
Quality filters that fit Cokin I believe.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.